Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Timing chain again

Waz888v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ls1 s2
My question is, how long can you drive the car when you get the dreaded codes indicating stretched chains. Also what's the fix for code P0521 (oil pressure switch ) i changed it sometime ago but its back. I have a 2008 60th Anniversary Duel fuel Thanks.
When codes come up usually should fix straight away you never know what will happen or when some people drive with code flashing long long long time but with your oil pressure switch some time it feels tight but may need to be tighten down more or you got a cheap china product don't last buy holden last year's most people don't realize how hot it gets under your bonnet cheap parts don't last for that very reason

Waz888v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ls1 s2
What if you replaced all 3 timing chains using a cam locker. Then had the error codes for the timing chain immediately appear and continuously return for months. Keep clearing the fault codes on the obd11. This lasts each time, mostly until the engine is restarted. Also I wasted good dollars having the the error codes checked at a GMH dealer, who said that nothing could be done until they themselves replaced the timing chains.

Can the engine management system be reset to restore the original timing for the engine? If so who do I trust to do it.?
Maybe the sensor is stuffed that's what I have found with most of my faults over the years cars actually ok but the sensor that tells the fault is actually faulty hope this helps

giterdunpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 wagon
Current status: We spoke to an engineer (not a mechanic) and he asked how long it had been since the oil had been changed.. Yes it turned out to be a long time. So the engine was given a double oil flush and a new filter. Probably too early to judge however the new problem is that the stability control symbol comes on and the car goes into limp mode....No solution for that found.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The codes that come up when the timing chains and sprokets are worn just indicate a timing alignment issue. GMH actually used to do a patch on the software allowing the tolerance to be wider. The chains wont just snap before they get real noisy which is long after the codes would appear.
If the engine is slugged up the pick up can get blocked causing low pressure to the chain tensioners which can throw the exact same codes you see when the chains are worn.

If these engines get slugged up it's highly recommended to do a engine flush, only! if you're prepared to pull the sump off one or maybe two times to clean it out.
Also the PCV drill mod should be done as this helps carry oil vapour out of the valve covers and helps prevent slugging in the top end. It also helps pull more vacuum in the crank case giving the engine more power which also leads to less fuel contamination in the oil helping with slugging.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The codes that come up when the timing chains and sprokets are worn just indicate a timing alignment issue. GMH actually used to do a patch on the software allowing the tolerance to be wider. The chains wont just snap before they get real noisy which is long after the codes would appear.
If the engine is slugged up the pick up can get blocked causing low pressure to the chain tensioners which can throw the exact same codes you see when the chains are worn.

If these engines get slugged up it's highly recommended to do a engine flush, only! if you're prepared to pull the sump off one or maybe two times to clean it out.
Also the PCV drill mod should be done as this helps carry oil vapour out of the valve covers and helps prevent slugging in the top end. It also helps pull more vacuum in the crank case giving the engine more power which also leads to less fuel contamination in the oil helping with slugging.
* Sludging.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That is how I usually spell it but my spell checker was telling me I'm wrong?
iOS & Android does the same thing...

Trust thy self and keep an eye on the spell correct nanny, she's prone to some shenanigans :p

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That is how I usually spell it but my spell checker was telling me I'm wrong?
I post on here using an IPad and i find that the autocorrect when posting on here doesn’t seem to work the same as when I’m writing/typing anywhere else. There are a lot of words that it won’t autocorrect or it will correct them to something that’s wrong.

old dude old car

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore 60th Anniversary duel fuel
As i said before it is only a hypothetical question. My car is going great, no problems what so ever