Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Timing chain again

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks for your replies, didn't really answer the question i asked. The codes come up the engine doesn't go KAHBOOM straight away there must be a period of time before it does. Hypothetical question really.
Assuming you also replaced the chain tensioners and guides, then all should be good mechanically good. So yeah, not likely the new chains have streached again (if they are from a reputable shop) so i'd say you have another issue... maybe sensors, maybe something else...

But if like the old chains, they havestreached and the guides and tensioners are old and worn, the chain may get loose enough to jump teeth. How many teeth one has to jump before a valve hits a piston i don't know. But if such occurs, and it can occur at any time in this scenario, then KABOOM...

I've seen another GM TSB on the issue @lout mentioned and it provided an in car inspection methon without needing to drop the sump. I'll see if i can find it and post a link...

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I've seen another GM TSB on the issue @lout mentioned and it provided an in car inspection methon without needing to drop the sump. I'll see if i can find it and post a link...
yep, i thought i saved the link but could not find it
from memory shine torch through crank sensor hole

gunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Berlina sports
The chains don't suddenly go and the engine go 'kahboom', unlike what can happen with timing belts... the misinformation surrounding these things is astounding.
i have what i can only describe as as screech for a second when i start my engine, is this likely to be a timing chain issue?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
No funds, then park it.

Maybe thats his/her/their only form of transport,
And I wouldnt think any mechainic would be able to do it this side of christmas,
Remember, some states have just come out of lockdown, and so everyone will want to get their cars fixed,
Besides, as @vr304 mentioned, no funds at the moment.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It’s a month ago OP ask the question.
Interested to hear the outcome OP?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
i have what i can only describe as as screech for a second when i start my engine, is this likely to be a timing chain issue?

Sounds more like a chain tensioner sound, especially if it disappears after a second or so. The tensioners need oil pressure to operate hence the lag at cold start.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Could be just one of the accessory belt pulleys.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Sounds more like a chain tensioner sound, especially if it disappears after a second or so. The tensioners need oil pressure to operate hence the lag at cold start.
Chain tensioners sound like a rattle at startup. My SV6 does it in winter until the oil gets up to the tensioners.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Chain tensioners sound like a rattle at startup. My SV6 does it in winter until the oil gets up to the tensioners.

I know exactly what it sounds like, my WM did the same and guessed that was what the OP was talking about.