Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The truth about Electric Cars

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Something I have been telling people for some time ...... I'm not a scientist or a greenie, so what would I know ?

I put solar panels on my roof to help save the planet, and save me money. What a dud that has turned out to be. The electricity generating companies are laughing at all us fools for helping them to make bigger profits..

The house always wins.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Not our house. At the rate our house uses power, with a 5kW system it will take 28 years to pay back what it cost to install.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Apparently they're worse for the environment - I've been told that the transportation of the battery components alone ends up producing an incredible amount of pollution, and overall they're worse for the environment than a vehicle with an internal combustion engine over its lifetime.

As a side note:
About 3 years ago I had induction training into one of the biggest car companies in Aus. One of the most interesting things they told us was to NEVER touch a hybrid or electric car that's been in an accident - even if the occupants need assistance. The current in those things is more than enough to kill you, so it's best to wait for emergency services.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
thats the same for roof mounted solar panels in a house fire(during the day of coarse) the fireys have to take care when working around them

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I don't know about wind being unpredictable, and solar technologies are getting cheaper.

We have wind farms in a few locations around WA that are sustainable.

taken from news.com

THE market price of the subsidy households end up paying to wind farms has surged by up to 270 per cent in just two years.

A grab-bag of green schemes is expected to add between $90 and $190 to power bills in 2016-17 depending on where consumers live, according to the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC). Within this, the price of providing a leg-up to large wind, solar and hydro setups was put at $29 to $44 — a charge that had and would rise by 23 per cent a year.

The accuracy of these predictions is in question though, because of a leap in the price of Large-scale Generation Certificates (LGCs) that deliver subsidies to wind farms and the other big renewable projects.

Electricity retailers have to buy a growing number of LGCs each year to comply with the Federal Government’s Renewable Energy Target (RET). They pass on these costs to customers.

The market price of LGCs has “gone through the roof”, said Matt Harris, head of climate change and renewables consulting at Frontier Economics, which the AEMC uses for its modelling.

A year ago an LGC certificate bought on the open market cost $54. It now costs $86, a jump of 60 per cent. In June 2014 the LGC price was barely more than $20. Today’s rate is a 270 per cent higher.

The AEMC’s estimate of Large-scale Renewable Energy Target (LRET) costs to residential consumers has at its heart an LGC price of just $46.52.
However, the AEMC said it had not underestimated LRET costs. It said its LGC price was a “long-term” figure. Both the AEMC and Frontier’s Mr Harris said that the spot market price contributed only a small percentage to overall LGC costs

A big chunk of retailers’ LGC needs are met via long-term contracts with wind and solar farms at fixed prices likely to be less than the current open market price.

Frontier Economics’ Mr Harris — who worked Malcolm Turnbull when the now-PM was Opposition Leader the first time, in 2009 — said the main reason for the LGC price surge was a supply crunch. This had been caused by a “long lag in investment” in new renewable generation capacity as a result of “policy uncertainty”. Mr Harris could not discuss the modelling done for the AEMC.

Wind’s subsidy windfall is not its only impact on consumers — it is also pushing up the price they pay for electricity.

In South Australia — which has the biggest number of turbines in the nation — the wholesale power price is currently 50 per cent higher than anywhere in the National Electricity Market.

When EnergyAustralia raised SA retail prices by an average of $260 a year from July 1, it said $210 of this was due to the cost of it buying power there.

News Corp Australia has previously reported futures markets indicate soaring wholesale prices could add $100 to $240 to annual bills in within two years.

The increase in the prices of LGCs and wholesale electricity have driven shares in the stockmarket-listed wind power generator Infigen 440 per cent higher in the past year.

Its revenue has jumped 25 per cent in the past 12 months and stock analyst David Fraser of Shaw & Partners said it was likely to lift by another 13 per cent next year.

The number of LGCs retailers have to buy this year rose by 14 per cent to 21.4 million and will increase by another 21 per cent next year to 26 million and then 10 per cent the year after.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
So all this Greeny's bullshit politically correct crap is doing, is lining the pockets of the business owners of the so called green energy market. Stinks of nepotism to me

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's all bullshit. Lets take advantage of changing technologies by charging through the nose for components because hey, the Gov will subsidise it. Or more accurately, consumers will. When solar first became available for households, the rebate and buy back scheme was huge. Sellers took advantage of it and added the rebate to the installation. The rebate reduced and wow, so did the cost if installing solar. Same with the insulation rebate.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
There is no such thing as free energy in the universe. Someone/something is paying the associated hidden cost.

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
An English King once needed more money to run the kingdom so he introduced a daylight tax. Every hovel that had a hole in the wall called a window would be taxed per window for the daylight it would let in. This became know as "" DAYLIGHT ROBBERY"" and makes me think of a modern way of doing the same thing... ""CLIMATE CHANGE"". . . we are just a flea on the back of this mighty planet and purely along for the ride as it goes through cycles that it has done since time began. Don't worry about fuel and greenhouse gases and all that money grabbing scare mongering. Remember that this place has been warming since the last ice age which when it probably gets to a critical temperature will spark another ice age. The planet was once too hot for any life. Don't worry about things that scare mongers put out because usually there are financial interests behind it all. At any single second on this planet we have at least 13 active volcanoes that spew more CO2 into the atmosphere than a any city in a year. The planet has been dealing with it ok for mine, so go enjoy your ride regardless of what it is because we are all here for but an instant in time.