Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The turbo Barra brigade

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The better availability of the Barra is a big plus seeing as they were fitted to the majority of Falcons and Territorys. I would say bang for your buck the Barra wins hands down as you could buy a NA Barra and turbo it for less that the cost of a half flogged LS motor.

I looked at picking up another LS motor for my SSV so I can do a build on it myself in my own time and then swap out when I’m done. Problem is the prices they want for second hand LS motors is ridiculous.

There are internal differences between the factory turbo and non turbo barra motors. The n/a motors have weaker rods so aren't anywhere as robust, I believe the LPG spec motors have better internals than the n/a motors.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
There are internal differences between the factory turbo and non turbo barra motors. The n/a motors have weaker rods so aren't anywhere as robust, I believe the LPG spec motors have better internals than the n/a motors.
The lpg greentop is the one you want for boost, has the beefier rods as standard

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The best factory engine released so far is the new ford f100/150/250 ect V8 petrol.
It's built like a diesel ready for boost. It comes with a forged crank forged rods and hyper pistons. Heads flow 330cfm on the intake.
In ten years time they'll be the go to engine in the junk yard LT1 with all it's fancy BS will be left alone.
But we will miss out here in aus/nz so we'll have to import.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
From what I’ve been able to find out when I looked for one a second hand LS motor will set you back around 5k. If you can pick up a Barra for a few hundred bucks you could probably do all the required internal mods and turbo it for about the same price or less than a clapped out second hand LS motor. Definitely less if you did the rebuild yourself.

That would see you with effectively a brand new turbo motor for the same price as a second hand LS and putting out more horsepower than the LS to boot.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
And it continues.... dude arguing with me that a "stock F6 would smoke a HSV W1" at first I was sure he was joking but nope. He's firing low 12sec quarter mile times for stock F6s. It's becoming laughably ludicrous.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Shame about the Barra..great engine with a sh1t car wrapped around it..

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I've destroyed an F6 with my LSA, LS9 would completely embarrass it.

No, but it's got a turbo, nothing embarrasses it. I just had a play with Moroso calculator and the last of the F6's could potentially run 12.7-12.9 sec, the same for the W1 has it 11.3 sec. The fastest W1 (legitimate) test was Motor recording a 12.1 sec.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
the last of the F6's could potentially run 12.7-12.9 sec, the same for the W1 has it 11.3 sec. The fastest W1 (legitimate) test was Motor recording a 12.1 sec.

12.9 vs 12.1 is about a 20ft difference over the 1/4. W1 smashes it..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
1/4 mile times for cars like this aren't truly representative of their potential performance, if anything, it's more a battle of traction control systems.