Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The turbo Barra brigade

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
From the outset, let me say that I respect the Aussie Barra engine and really admire the horsepower it can achieve in turbo form -especially modified.

What I struggle with though, is why the turbo Barra brigade think this engine is untouchable -certainly nothing Holden ever made can touch them. This is where the argument starts to lack a bit of logic. From all the reading and general research I've done, a stock XR6T and stock SS pretty much all run similar numbers. Sometimes the Ford will get the jump in a comparison and sometimes the Holden. The VE-VF stuff was always a much better car for getting power to the ground and handling, but that's another argument...

But because the Barra has a turbo, no LS-engined Commodore can touch it -and that's literally the attitude these guys have. You try to explain that a blown 4.0-litre engine roughly equates to a N/A 6.0-litre engine, hence why an XR6T and SS have near-identical outputs, but then the argument usually turns to modifying the Barra and it will destroy anything. It's like they've got their blinkers on to the world of HSV (later stuff had 430-484kw etc as we all know ), or the fact that, you know, an LS can be modified very easily to basically wipe the floor with a 4.0 Barra. But, no, that turbo beats anything Holden can offer or modify.

I guess the final straw for me was a debate yesterday where someone from the Barra brigade had 'blown the doors off' a VF series 2 (LS3) with a stock XR6T.

Is it a Ford guy thing? Are they trying so hard to prove a point after two+ decades of disappointment where Holden outclassed and outsold them (80s-90s)?

Just an open discussion here, no agendas.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I guess the biggest difference is where and over what band the power and torque are produced. A big turbo engine will produce peak of both lower and for longer. even 6.2l of NA can't compete with it low down.

Its kick in the back vs top end rush.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Plenty of turbo Barra drivers have been embarrassed by Holden/HSV drivers...
Most of the 'heavy hitting' turbo Barra's are trailer queens.
A Barra without a turbo is a boat anchor...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Ford Forum will light up with indignation about any comment that does not extol the virtues of a Ford. Possible even get the post deleted and user banned. Must have blue tinted glasses to post on there.
The number of posts about the latest Ford products (most of which will not be available in Aus) border on self-flagellation orgasms.
Much huffing and puffing about how Ford are still in Aus, and Holden is a memory.
Anyone on this forum eagerly awaiting a 1.0 litre 3cyl turbo SUV ?
And don't forget that the Ranger was designed in Australia, and built in Thialand, and is a top seller, along with the Rustang, Mustang 'sports car'.

I must admit that the 'boat anchor' lump in our Territory does go OK, and wonder how a VE/VF would go with a Barra instead of an Alloytech.

In these unprecedented times of anti-social driving enjoyment, does it really matter if a Turbo Barra is quicker to ??kmh than a LS ?
It is the surge and aural enjoyment of a V8 that many do not understand, or will get to experience.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I respect them.
Clearly it is a great design of a motor and has stupidly good potential, same as the LS where a few simple mods can really open them up.
Its also not about max power but how it drives and if the driver can control it. Sure having power is nice, but isnt fun when you cant use it properly.

I've got mates who are Ford fans and theres always a bit of banter between us.
And to be honest I really do enjoy being in their vehicles although could never own one myself.
Its a bit like how footy fans hang it on each other, someone always wants to feel better then the other person.

Lets be honest, there are the same on the LS side of the fence.
Some real self indulgent people that cant see beyond a little bowtie or lion badge.

As for having a powerful car (of which i do have)
Yeah sure its nice, however once youre up to speed, then what?
I've had people want to try and race off the line or similar. I just let them go and if they feel they want to brag about "beating a such and such" then they can big note themselves for that all important street credit.
I'll just enjoy the sound of it burbling along and every now and then remember why you have to be nice to the go fast pedal.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Much huffing and puffing about how Ford are still in Aus, and Holden is a memory.

Yep, I've heard this one too. This is pure blue-tinted glasses for sure. Ford Vs Holden was ALWAYS Falcon vs Commodore (et al). Commodore easily won that one in every measurable way. More illogical idiocy.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I must admit that the 'boat anchor' lump in our Territory does go OK, and wonder how a VE/VF would go with a Barra instead of an Alloytech.

It would be like comparing a 'boat anchor' to a 'sacrificial anode'....;)

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Said it before and I'll say it again. Zeta chassis with a Barra would be the best Aussie car ever made.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Anybody here watch Carnage on the youtubes? Scotty loves his barra engines and is single handedly trying to blow them all up with fairly good success!

I've watched some Barra stuff and they make decent power especially with some mods but they also seem to become fragile. A Single turbo LS built half decently is going to **** all over it all day long and it would probably be cheaper to buy/build.