Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate bulb replacement guide

waho

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore sv6
Great write up just changed low beams in my vf sv6 I took the front wheels off and removed 7 screws and folded the sound deadener right back could get head right in makes it easy

vyaw2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf commodore ute
Surly removing the headlights would be easier??

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
Awesome, Thanks.

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Surly removing the headlights would be easier??

Nope. Headlights are held in by four bolts. 2 that are accessible from the bonnet, 2 that are behind the bumper.
To remove the bumper is easy however it is far more labour intensive than just removing the torx screws and folding back the wheel well lining.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
(MR16 LED downlight bulbs for halogen house lights are worse)

It all depends on the quality, not the overall design. I used to install EYE dichroic MR16 (made in Japan) and they would last longer than most cheap LED downlights on the market today.

I've also bought lots of T10 LEDs, from eBay, and they are very hit and miss.

CJK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE WAGON
Thanks for the great write up! I have a 2014 VF SSV Wagon... looking to upgrade the low beam headlights to the Phillips Crustal Vision, is the process in your write up the same for a V8 engine bay? Thanks in advance

SV8300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2013 SV6 Wagon
Awesome post mate...
wow.... :)
you just saved me a heap of screwing around

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
The standard globes are the long life version ie LL for a reason. The crystal vision globes while good are not LL and have a relative short life so I would expect them to need replacing in 12-18 months depending on usage and if you keep the headlights on auto. Philips do make a long life globe but they do not perform as well as the crystal vision. The crystal and extreme vision perform better in depth and width and are brighter as they run hotter but this is why they do not last longer and it is made worse if you keep the lights in auto mode.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Bump... post complete... hope some VF owners find this useful :D
I very much did mate thank you, swapped out the Low Beams today. My fingers bloody hurt!
I had to remove a few additional bits in order to get access to twist off the dust covers (working on an SS LS3):
Drivers Side:
- Coolant tube
- Fuse box cover
- Dual wiring loom (coming out from the fuse box) that's mounted on a white clip behind the high beam dust cover
Passenger Side:
- Air box

On the drivers side, I ended up removing the top 2 screws of the headlight unit to get a bit of wriggle room. Didn't need to for the passenger side - Once the air box was out I had tons of room.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I very much did mate thank you, swapped out the Low Beams today. My fingers bloody hurt!
I had to remove a few additional bits in order to get access to twist off the dust covers (working on an SS LS3):
Drivers Side:
- Coolant tube
- Fuse box cover
- Dual wiring loom (coming out from the fuse box) that's mounted on a white clip behind the high beam dust cover
Passenger Side:
- Air box

On the drivers side, I ended up removing the top 2 screws of the headlight unit to get a bit of wriggle room. Didn't need to for the passenger side - Once the air box was out I had tons of room.
Crikey. You'll be doing it again in a year or so most likely.