Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate bulb replacement guide

noelryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm 2014
Hi Smitchy, I am a bit confused ... I thought your original post was just brighter/whiter halogens, but Bing have quoted me $500 for Konik LED lights (only for low, high, park and fog) which include conversions kits. I was hoping just for halogens that were brighter/whiter than OEM, but legal for around $250. What are your thoughts?

noelryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm 2014
and ... am I right that you had no can-bus issues with the bulbs you listed above?

smitchy

Reaction score
Website
www.webchemistry.com.au
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSV Redline VF Series II
Hi Smitchy, I am a bit confused ... I thought your original post was just brighter/whiter halogens, but Bing have quoted me $500 for Konik LED lights (only for low, high, park and fog) which include conversions kits. I was hoping just for halogens that were brighter/whiter than OEM, but legal for around $250. What are your thoughts?
Hey mate, no you dont need a conversion kit mate..... not sure what they are trying to sell you. Did you tell them you want just the Crystal visions? they are just the halogens 4300k... they are legal... easy swap as per my guide, just tell them Mitch from the Just Commodore forums sent you and you want the stuff he got.... worst comes to worst let me know.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A big thanks to smitchy, as I said earlier this is a great thread and it has spurred me on to do my car but only the interior for the time being.

It’s a red Ute with the overhead interior light and lights behind the seats replaced with purple bulbs and the reading/map lights replaced with white.

The photos don't really do them justice but the map lights are now very intense and have made a massive difference to the ability of my old eyes to be able to see compared to the dull OEMs.

The last two photos showing the map reading lights also have the purple lights on at the same time and they basically cancel the overhead light out.

a interior 1.JPG

a interior 2.JPG

b interior 1.JPG

b interior 2.JPG

c map 1.JPG

c map 2.JPG

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
2018-11-14 12.07.49.jpg
Installed the phillips Crystal Visions 4300k about a week ago. After using the Philips X-treme Vision +130% Halogen 3700k bulb for more than a year.
Phillips Crystal Visions are pretty good with a nice white light.
Although Philips X-treme Vision +130% have a longer beam of light making them in my opinion better for dusk and night driving.
I'm now using Philips Racing Vision + 150%
Pictures

( 1 ) crystal vision (light rain at the time of pic)
2019-01-18 21.02.53.jpg
2018-11-14 20.04.14.jpg

( 2 ) X-treme Vision +130%
2019-03-26 20.55.45.jpg

( 3 ) Philips Racing Vision + 150%
2018-12-11 22.39.12.jpg

Well done Smitchy
Awesome thread :)

Last edited:

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
How to remove Interior map and cabin lights on VF with sunroof.

Step 1
Wedge your fingers in the areas as marked and firmly pull down on the housing. The entire housing should come down as shown in the next step.

DSC_8207-8.00.19-PM-2000x1122.jpg

Step 2

Pull the housing downwards and forwards to release the hooks. Re-install by reversing this process.

DSC_8210-8.00.19-PM-2000x1335.jpg

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Has anyone had success replacing the blubs in the two map / reading cabin lights in the sunglass holder? I’ve tried Konik CANbus T10 led's COB 6000k pure white LED’s?

They don’t work?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has anyone had success replacing the blubs in the two map / reading cabin lights in the sunglass holder? I’ve tried Konik CANbus T10 led's COB 6000k pure white LED’s?

They don’t work?

Did you turn them around to try 'reverse polarity'?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

They don’t work?

as lmoengnr said turn the bulb around in the holder but also you need to make sure that the led bulbs you use draw enough current for the logic on the circuit board of the map reading lights switch to detect the bulbs on/off state.
if the bulbs do not draw enough current they might not switch on or they might switch on but not off because the on/off state is not detected which makes the on/off switch useless.
normally led bulbs labeled "canbus"(which is a cool word used for resistance) work but if they don't provide enough of a load the map lights will be "dicky" turning on and off.