Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ultimate P Plater Resource thread.

Ashby005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ UTE 3.6L
i have a question for all of you.. i live in NSW during the holidays but got to boarding school in SA...so i can get either drivers licence.. i just bought a VY S ute, and i have a NSW P plate licence, but im allready over the 90km/h **** and the p's on the outside so im thinking about changing my licecne to SA so i can put p's on the inside and go 100km/h and TOW a reasonable trailer if needed. Just one question tho i normally drive my ute from boarding school back to nsw does this mean if i do get me SA P plates will i need to stop when i get to NSW and put my p's on the outside and go back to 90km/h or can i just sit on 100 and if i get pulled over pull the im from SA i didnt know trick any thoughts. my ute also has extractors on it but its not loud at all its a bit noiser than stock whats the best state to get away with small things like that in......... NSW P's or SA P's cheers

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Regardless of where your P plate is from you still have to follow the law of the state/teritory you are in. It's about time this country was a country and not a bunch of separate colonies with separate laws. We need 1 licencing system to stop the confusion.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i have a question for all of you.. i live in NSW during the holidays but got to boarding school in SA...so i can get either drivers licence.. i just bought a VY S ute, and i have a NSW P plate licence, but im allready over the 90km/h **** and the p's on the outside so im thinking about changing my licecne to SA so i can put p's on the inside and go 100km/h and TOW a reasonable trailer if needed. Just one question tho i normally drive my ute from boarding school back to nsw does this mean if i do get me SA P plates will i need to stop when i get to NSW and put my p's on the outside and go back to 90km/h or can i just sit on 100 and if i get pulled over pull the im from SA i didnt know trick any thoughts. my ute also has extractors on it but its not loud at all its a bit noiser than stock whats the best state to get away with small things like that in......... NSW P's or SA P's cheers

if you do have your SA Probationary licence then you follow those rules when in NSW.
so you can do the limit, tow and the works.
it is only if you are a learner that then drives into NSW that you have to follow their laws (which is 80kph max)

basically.
whatever restrictions you are on in SA, is what you follow in NSW.
(read up on post #9, which is the exact reply i got from the NSW RTA when i wanted to know the exact same thing)

Regardless of where your P plate is from you still have to follow the law of the state/teritory you are in. It's about time this country was a country and not a bunch of separate colonies with separate laws. We need 1 licencing system to stop the confusion.
100% wrong and incorrect.
trust me. i didnt go to a huge hassle to win an arguement with someone over this exact issue to be wrong. and i drive up into NSW a fair bit
which included speaking to Vicroads, NSW RTA and the NSW police force.
and i still have the copy of the exact message around as proof if people do not want to believe that. (most of which is posted in post #9 on here)
but i do agree. they need 1 licence system, but none of this limit speed crap. 80kph in a 110 zone is 3/4 of the speed. thats a bloody huge speed gap. and dangerous.
however yes you are semi right about the law of the state. you still have to follow their speed limit signs. roadworks signs and all that. =P

Last edited:

Ashby005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ UTE 3.6L
F****K the stupid rules every time you ring up the idiots they give you a different answer i rang up RTA about it and they said i follow there rules i rang up SA and they tell me if i have a SA licence i stay with the SA rules. all these different rules in different states its all a load of sh** there needs to be one set of rules for the whole of Australia.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
F****K the stupid rules every time you ring up the idiots they give you a different answer i rang up RTA about it and they said i follow there rules i rang up SA and they tell me if i have a SA licence i stay with the SA rules. all these different rules in different states its all a load of sh** there needs to be one set of rules for the whole of Australia.

you do go by your own states laws and restrictions while on your probationary licence
it is only Interstate Learners that have to comply with the NSW version of the laws/restrictions
some people are the RTA/Vicroads etc dont always have the best idea =P
if in doubt contact the NSW police. as they would be the ones actually pulling you up if they think you're in the wrong.

and if you still dont believe me.
that was the answer i also recieved from the NSW police (in which case these ones work on the NSW/VIC border).
you follow your own states laws.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
The laws are getting pretty ridiculous. What happened to the power to weight ratio? A law that actually made sense. Soon you won't even be able to drive on your p1's, you'll just have to sit, look at your car for a year and think about driving responsibly.

Chev350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Just Double Checking. In NSW. A P Plater can buy and register a V8 Commodore. Have green slip Insurance? And drive it on private property. And be a passenger in it on roads? Can he have Insurance for it?

<andy9>

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 6.0LTR M6
Pretty sure you can get ctp and insurence as I had a super6 with a few months left on my P's ctp was harder to get though and insurence was ridiculously overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free