Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate VR/VS fuel usage research page

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I was going to clean my throttle body this weekend and see if petrol usage decreased but just for you Michelson4301 I will put in the K&N filter. Results for this will be posted late next week and week or two after that I will clean the throttle body.

kwlumley

KenZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Clubsport R8
kopper69 said:
Results on this post by one member, kwlumley, shows this. I will also try premium too, for the results.

I was unsure for a while but Im pretty confident of the following now:

1) You may get slightly more kms out of a tank of premium but the cost is not worth it

2)Premium has not proven to run any cleaner in any Australian built car.
Here's some more which I think could be pretty interesting:
Kms..........Fuel (Lts)..........Ave Km/L .......Full tank Kms..........Notes...............Refill fuel
287.5..........29.94..............9.60...............604.96.................All Highway...........PULP
264.0..........40.13..............6.58................414.45..................All Stop Start........PULP

So anyway, from reading the forums, when I got the 2.5 cat back exhaust they disconnected the battery (all welded stainless exhaust). I hadn't had the VR long, so was **really enjoying it**. Drove it 1Km to get the wheels, then basically floored it for a while. I get reasonably (I think) economy sitting on 110 - 140 Kph but I only travel about 1Km to work. Enjoying the corners, hating the 20Kph drivers in 50Kph zones, so plant again. Maybe if I disconnect the battery to reset the computer (if it really works) I may get better economy. PULP (95RON) does give a better response - heaps better - love to plant and enjoy faces turning - but never speeding - well not much anywayl. Thoughts? I intend getting CAI and K&N filter in about 6 weeks - see if that makes a difference. Again your thoughts?

Last edited:

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
bluecar said:
On 9.65 l per 100 km.

Have ordered a CAI and a red line filter. Put on after a weekend away coming up the following week end. After that should have a definitive figure for consumption of this recently acquired wagon.

Anyone reckon I should put one on at time to see what difference either makes if any? That sentence may not have made sense but I know what I meant.

Got excited and put them both on together. Did 755 kms for 74.1 liters or 9.8 litres to the 100 km.
About 550 non metro 200 metro. About 300 air conditioner on. 450 a/c off.

Not much difference with cai and red line filter fitted.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
So how much did you spend and how many kms did you gain out of a tank? Nice work by the way bluecar *thumbs up*. I put a K&N filter in this week as well but dont expect any noticable increase in kms. Sort of feel ripped off.

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
kopper69 said:
So how much did you spend and how many kms did you gain out of a tank? Nice work by the way bluecar *thumbs up*. I put a K&N filter in this week as well but dont expect any noticable increase in kms. Sort of feel ripped off.

About 170 bucks with the oil and cleaner for filter. No apparent gain. Slighty worse if anything but no regrets. On close scutiny did not like where the VS intake is and no harm putting in a sports type filter and the expense only a few boxes of beer.

At this stage though can't say that either helps with economy. These cars seem to tune themselves as you go. Only had the thing six weeks. Keeping a written record of kms and fuel put in the tank. See what happens from here.

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
VS V6 Series Two
Automatic Transmission
executive
Sedan
Whether you have a CAI (Cold Air Intake) - Yes
Whether you have a K&N filter - Yes
Whether you have an upgraded exhaust - Yes, pacemakers, twin OEM cats, single 2.5" exhaust, single straight-thru muffler
Engine Mods - COME Racing cam, ported/polished/shaved heads, ported t/b 68mm, VR ECU (ie. mafless tune)
Drivetrain - 2500rpm stally, shift kit, single spinner diff 3.08:1 ratio
Whether you know your tyre pressure and if so what is it in PSI - around 34psi
What size rims do you have - 17"
How often you stop and start as an estimated percentage (for traffic/traffic lights etc) - only short distance driving (to train station, around 5.5kms each way), not much traffic. And weekend driving, which is slightly longer distance (15 - 30km drives).
How long your car sits idling (excluding traffic lights) on an average tank of fuel - not sure, not too much I guess, there's never much traffic.
How much excess luggage do you take in your car - spare, twin subs and amp, probably bout 40kgs for stereo stuff plus spare.
How many people are in your car on average including you - just me except for weekends then the g/f aswell
Where was the petrol purchased from - Usually Mobil Synergy, sometimes Optimax, depends when I'm running low, but always a 98ron
Average speed you think you do on a normal tank - 60-80kph
Number of kilometres your car has travelled - 168000
How hard do you normally go on a take off (when starting from lights etc) - hehehe, can't help it... quite hard most times except when cold. So weekly driving usually easy, weekend driving quite hard sometimes...
How big your fuel tank is - 59lt
What percentage of time is the air conditioning on - not much, prefer fat-arming it :)

Before the cam/heads/tune/stally, I was getting 8.5 - 9.5kms/litre (between 10 - 12 ltrs/100kms)
Since cam/heads/tune/stally, now getting between 6 - 7.5kms/litre (between 13 - 16 ltrs/100kms)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sircruisealotVS said:
im keen for this little "experiment"...here's the spec's for my car:
vs
v6
series ll
auto
equipe
sedan
CAI+ k&n pod + heat shield
2 1/2" lukey exhaust and extractors
tyre pressure is 42
18" rims
...other mods: yella terra 1:8:1 stealth street rockers, performance memcal (from dr bob)
starting and stopping, 30-40%
idle time, 10-15 mins
usually no excess luggage
usually just me
vortex from caltex + a octane boost and fuel treatment every second tank
average speed, 70km/hr
k's on the clock 191,000
how hard i take off, depends what mood im in (lol),usually pretty hard
fuel tank, 59L
air con, never use it

ok,this is my last week of "research"...from the results id say i get pretty good consistent fuel economy... all factors considered.
here are all my results as a final re-cap:
week one: 320k from 35L...539.4k a tank...10.9L/100k
week two: 360k from 38L...558.9k a tank...10.5L/100k
week three:330k from 35L..556.2k a tank...9.4L/100k
week four: 380k from 38L...590k a tank......10L/100k

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
damn sircruisealotVS. You must do exactly the same trip with exactly the same driving style and fill up exactly the same time each week.

You put alot into your car. Octane and fuel treatment every second tank must start to cost you a bit. Have you considered running on normal fuel to see the results you get? Might save you a bit on additives and the premium fuel cost.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol...yeah i was think the same thing...i do have a pretty monotomous routine of driving to work,to college, and cruisin....but i never drive the same style, sometimes i absolutely hammer it and other times i grandma it..it must even out,lol.- but i do fill up exactly the same time of day each week (pay day,wednesday, in the evening before college)
and i cant run normal unleaded...the vs has been chipped, so it runs sh*tty on anything but 98ron. i dont mind payin the little extra for the octane boost and fuel treatment...i still barely spend $50 a week all up when i do the additive and fill up (usually costs me about $40-45 to fill my car back up after a weeks driving).

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Well K&N filter went into the VR last week and the fuel usage was the same, if not worse, than any other week. Im going to run it for another week and if fuel usage doesnt pick up im going to put the paper filter back in. I didnt notice any increase in performance using the K&N either.