Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The VE Monaro

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Errr yeah... Cause it cost them 2.5 million just to delete the rear door..Have you actually seen the car in person? Or in decent pics? It looks more different than the last Monaro to my eyes...

Take a look again buddy.

]

I was talking about the picture in the first post, which looks like an SS with the rear door line blended over in PhotoShop.

And yes, i have seen the Coupe60....awesome car.:thumbsup:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I have to agree with Trosal... I think Holden whould be better making a mid size 4 door hatch (ala Torana Concept) powered by the VE V8s and V6 engines. Sports models of course. Make the V6 direct injection with a 6 speed auto (for those that don't buy a manual) and also provide a deisel option, family spec car.

Problem I think they would have is it would steel sales away from Commodore.

I like the Camaro, and it will sell. Just not as much as a mid size Zeta based "Torana".

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
true CSP, but it seems that it probably be inevitable the large car(such as commodore)wont be popular in the future. My brother has late model vectra, its a good size and comfortable to drive but it justs need to extra cylinders. Im a tall bloke and will always find it hard to fit in smaller cars, so the larger car is good for me, although i was crapping my self taking the VE through narrow winding roads in the adelaide hills the day after i got it as getting use to the extra metal overhanging the tyres on the front guards with trucks flying by on the other side. Even in car parks i try to find the best spot where no one parks next to my car for fear of dents such as today i took my brother for a drive to the shops and parked it and he said "should i book a taxi to the front door to the shop?"

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Even in car parks i try to find the best spot where no one parks next to my car for fear of dents such as today i took my brother for a drive to the shops and parked it and he said "should i book a taxi to the front door to the shop?"

LOL I always do this sort of thing... Sports next to pillars, on the ends etc... Always concious of where I park my car.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have to agree with Trosal... I think Holden whould be better making a mid size 4 door hatch (ala Torana Concept) powered by the VE V8s and V6 engines. Sports models of course. Make the V6 direct injection with a 6 speed auto (for those that don't buy a manual) and also provide a deisel option, family spec car.

Problem I think they would have is it would steel sales away from Commodore.

I like the Camaro, and it will sell. Just not as much as a mid size Zeta based "Torana".

Whether we like it or not, the day of big sixes and eights are numbered. The area which is hurting Holden and Ford most these days is the lack of a diesel alternative. I think it's amazing to thing that Holden didn't develop the VE with a diesel from the start - there are many good modern diesels which could at least have been used in the car's development. The fact that Holden and Ford are now looking at alternative power plants indicates a lack of forsesight during the cars' planning. Some Euro's have turbo V8 diesels (Audi for example) which put out enormous torque, have more than enough performance for V8 nuts, and deliver astonishing economy when the size and power is taken into account.

I reckon a 2010 "Torana" would sell well here, have a sound export potential, and would be the perfect vehicle for a diesel only engine range.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Whether we like it or not, the day of big sixes and eights are numbered.

Since the release of the VE V8 sales of Holden and HSV have gone UP. The myth is that the days of the big V8's are numbered because quite frankly, the people that buy them think so little about the marginally more fuel they will need to buy.

V6 and V8 petrol engines aren't the "gas guzlers" they used to be. I own two V8s, an Aussie made 308 in my weekend toy - a 1970 HG Holden Premier, fully restored. And the daily driver, a Chev powered 6 litre HSV. I will never consider downsizing. Petrol could cost $3 a litre for all I care.

I reckon a 2010 "Torana" would sell well here, have a sound export potential, and would be the perfect vehicle for a diesel only engine range.

ABSOLUTELY!!! But it needs to be an Aussie Rear Wheel Drive!!!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Whether we like it or not, the day of big sixes and eights are numbered. The area which is hurting Holden and Ford most these days is the lack of a diesel alternative. I think it's amazing to thing that Holden didn't develop the VE with a diesel from the start - there are many good modern diesels which could at least have been used in the car's development.

yes there is a diesel engine thats going to be released, its a vm-motori (italian) 3.0 v6 t/diesel extremely impressive power output an very good economy around or less than 8l/100km i think

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Since the release of the VE V8 sales of Holden and HSV have gone UP. The myth is that the days of the big V8's are numbered because quite frankly, the people that buy them think so little about the marginally more fuel they will need to buy.

V6 and V8 petrol engines aren't the "gas guzlers" they used to be. I own two V8s, an Aussie made 308 in my weekend toy - a 1970 HG Holden Premier, fully restored. And the daily driver, a Chev powered 6 litre HSV. I will never consider downsizing. Petrol could cost $3 a litre for all I care.

ABSOLUTELY!!! But it needs to be an Aussie Rear Wheel Drive!!!

It's true that the sales of V8's rose with the advent of the VE, but that was in 2006, before the current fuel price issue. No doubt, sales of large engines continue, but my point was that this won't last forever. I have to admit that I am amazed at the actions being taken by HSV and Ford to release even larger and more powerful V8's than we have at present. When is enough power enough. (Now, no doubt, some will respond to this question with the answer "There is never enough power!" but there has to be an end somewhere.

It is not just the price of fuel that will kill off our big engines. Government interference like took place in 1973, that killed off the V8 Torana, GTHO Phase IV and hi-po 340 Chargers,will happen again. Manufacturers will be told that they have reached their zenith with the power race. And the market will realise that there just isn't any sensible reason for manufacturing such powerful vehicles for street use.

I've had my share of 327 and 350 HT and HG Munro's back in the 70's. I have a photo of my 327 HT Premier sitting beneath a petrol price sign that reads "Standard 15.4 (cents per litre). Super was 15.7 cpl. Shortly after that photo was taken, the price of fuel took off and within 12 months, it had risen by about 8 cents per litre. V8's couldn't be given away - it took me five months to sell mine and I took a bath on the selling price. It's ok to say that today's eights are far more economical, and they are, but 12 to 15 litres per 100 k's will not cut it when our prices reach European levels, the market for big engines drops, taxation levees are introduced on engines over a certain size and fuel economy really starts to matter. There will always be those who don't care about fuel economy but if their numbers fall to the point where it is no longer economical to manufacture V8's, manufacturers will stop offering them.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Whether we like it or not, the day of big sixes and eights are numbered. The area which is hurting Holden and Ford most these days is the lack of a diesel alternative. I think it's amazing to thing that Holden didn't develop the VE with a diesel from the start - there are many good modern diesels which could at least have been used in the car's development. The fact that Holden and Ford are now looking at alternative power plants indicates a lack of forsesight during the cars' planning. Some Euro's have turbo V8 diesels (Audi for example) which put out enormous torque, have more than enough performance for V8 nuts, and deliver astonishing economy when the size and power is taken into account.

The Audi R8's diesel alternative is faster and has more torque then the petrol version. :) The v8 TD puts out 350hp and 800NM of torque, where as the v8 petrol pushes out 414hp, but only 430NM of torque... The V12 TD Le Mans version goes even further to push out 500bhp and a massive 1,000Nm of torque. The euros have certainly got the diesel sorted out

The firm will make the R8 available with its new 4.2-litre V8 TDI unit late next year. Currently powering the Q7 SUV, the oil-burner produces 322bhp and 760Nm of torque. How-ever, it is likely to be tuned further for the R8, pumping out more than 350bhp and 800Nm of torque.

Hooked up to either the R8’s six-speed manual or six-speed R tronic transmissions, the four-wheel-drive supercar should be capable of going from 0-60mph in around five seconds, with a top speed of 160mph. And it will return around 30mpg.

The engine will be the final unit to go in the R8, after the 5.0-litre V10 model arrives in early 2008, priced around £85,000. The diesel version should cost about £70,000.

and to add:

Following in the tracks of the diesel powered R10 Le Mans racer, the R8 V12 TDI produces 500bhp and a massive 1,000Nm of torque. Rumour has it that the 0-62mph sprint will take only 4.2 seconds, while expected fuel economy of 28mpg is unheard of in this class.

All from :Audi R8 | Greatest Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express