Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The VE rattle snake

jarusumo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all, My 2010 VE SV6 is making this rattle snake noise on start up. it does it 8 times out of ten but only lasts a few seconds each time and only does it first start of the day. So doesn't happen while driving or restarting after first fire up. Anyone have this issue before? Check video link to hear it. Thanks in advance!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
timing chain

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
How many kilometers?
Are you the first owner?
If so, what oil has been used since new?

jarusumo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
How many kilometers?
Are you the first owner?
If so, what oil has been used since new?
Done 177000, I have had the car for 4 months now. but the service history showed regular servicing and I put 5w-30 in when I got it.
Someone said with some certainty that it was air being sucked past a faulty o-ring behind the sump where the oil pick up is as a possibility.
I don't believe it is the timing chain because if that was the case it would be much more of a problem, but it just happens for a few seconds on first start up and then it goes away till the next day.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
What interval between services? It's well documented 15.000Kms between services was too much and caused issues down the line.

I strongly believe it is the timing chain, well, more precisely, the tensioners are not doing their job anymore so the chain is hitting the cover, probably
because they are not well lubricated anymore because some oil galleries are obstructed by sludge.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My thought was the oil in it was far too thick, and it was starving for oil on startup.
Guess you keep driving it, and if nothing changes regular 5-30 oil changes would be sensible.