Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "Which speakers should i buy" thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As the old saying goes you get what you pay for, should of went with 6.5 they fit in the same pods, Kickers in 2 way pack a punch, the splits sound good..
Kenwood and pioneer these days are not much chop, if your not happy buy a good pair and flog off the ones you just got. Don't buy from supercheap or Repco go to Autobarn and talk to them. Also have a look at the reviews on google on car speakers in Australia...
I've bought $50-$60 Pioneer 2 ways from Autobarn and had great results. Up until recently that's all I've used. I bought expensive splits and I can't tell the difference. I now need a sub to get the deep notes and to finish off the system. I'm already at close to $1500 and I think my old $450 set up was as good sound wise. I am told once I get the sub I should really see the improvements over a cheaper set up. But sub is another $200, so have to wait until I can afford one.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Get a compact active sub that goes under your seat, pioneer one sounds good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Was at you 1971 but anyone who wants to add a little bass without going over the top... You need to think about your friends or family in the back seats when fitting doof doof.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a 60 x4 rms amp. Splits don't give as much bass as coaxial. Hence a sub is generally required.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Component speakers or as you called them splits sound great up front as long as you position them correctly. Depends what you want from your system, also depends on your head unit capabilities as well, the car maker just put a matching kit into the car if you using a original head unit with bigger wattage speakers it wont put out the sound your after, adding a amp to drive them is the only way to get the best sound out of them.
If you want a bit more bass without using a sub just run 6x9 in the back by removing the plates from the back shelf, just your fist will knock them out , cancel the back door speakers and run the 6x9 from a amp.

Those active subs that fit under the seats are good, pioneer or kicker brand will give you a buzz... I learnt to keep it simple, your ears are very important tool and do adjust to sound, I started off with 6x9, then went up to 10" sub, then 12" sub, as you condition your ears to that sound you just want more and more which means going bigger, then I was told that's due to your hearing getting damaged and your becoming tone deaf.
My advice keep it simple with a good balance all round sound.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$400 Pioneer HU. It needs a sub as I'm having to turn the bass up to near full and the treble right down. I've had $200 Pioneer HU, with 40rms amp, coaxials in the old ute and it sounded just as good as my new system in new ute. Been told sub is what I need by a few knowledgeable people. Installer agreed sub will finish the system off.

homerrichard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore: 1978-1980.
Earlier this week, I planned to buy a speaker for mine. This is surely a handful tip. Thanks for the info!

SV6BOI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hey guys, I have absolutely no idea on subs but would like to ask what subs you would recommend for a VF Sv6? my uncle has a Twin 12” Kicker Comp Sub Enclosure with a ZX300.1 Kicker Amplifier he’s willing to sell to me for $100 would that fit well with the car?