Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "Which speakers should i buy" thread

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
The majority that think the street needs to hear their speakers play **** music anyway that sounds terrible from inside the car and from the street so not sure what the point is.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
Its not about having a system that only plays flatout it is more about having quality components in a system to give you the full sound spectrum at a clear and crisp listening volume because you like music. Everyone has had there stereo turned up so others can hear them. IMO if you love listening to music spend the money on good products and not always listen to what others say they did and sounds awesome but only to them. Also work out what distortion is it may happen sooner than you think.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bass goes through walls even though it sounds crap on the outside its awesome on the inside, only reason they sound like rubbish on the street is because the cars rattle and distort the sound coming out, not like they use to sound in old cars which where made of steel and not foil paper and plastic.
If you want crisp loud sound without distorting then its best to run a amp off the speakers not using the head unit in built amp to drive the system, most units have front and rear AUX output cables these days, I had 4 ways 7x10 Kenwood's in the back running off a amp to get that extra drive for punch and 6.5" splits up front to fade the back out when carrying passengers in the back, then I added a 12" sub and ran the 7x10 as high end cutting out the bass, these days as I'm not young no more I have two 8" open air soundstream subs in parcel shelf for punch and 6.5" pioneer splits up front with 6" 3 ways in the back doors also Pioneer, sounds pretty good for me without going overboard. I have a Chinese double din with GPS made by Eonon works a treat.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
Theres no substitute for good quality sound deadning. I have a vr ute with 6.5" high end old skool ADS 346cs 150rms components in the doors and tweeters on the dash in factory location. 2 Rockford fosgate p3s 10's sealed boxes 300rms each and sound deadening on the inner and outer door skins, floor, back wall and roof. Plays loud clean and crisp all amplified and can barely hear it out side the car but blows your ears apart inside. Its all about budget and knowing what can effect sound quality and budget.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Figured better to ask in here rather then a new thread. Looking at replacing the door speakers in my wh and already have an amp (Pioneer GM-6300F) to power the speakers but wondering on what’s good for $500 for a set of 4 these days? I had jaycar Kevlars in my vy but want something a little nicer.

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6, 04 berlina, 07 crewman
just swapped out my stocky door speakers in the sv6 for some kenwood 6inch speakers and im a little disappointed in the sound difference tbh.
the stock speakers had a much deeper cone which gave them decent low tone. but the new 6 inch speakers are all slim line and sound more tinny and sharp. they dont sound as good imo. not running an amp, just off the stock head unit.

i think ill be keeping my berlinas speakers stock

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Check the nominal power rating. I'd guess you'll need to amp them to run optimal

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
As the old saying goes you get what you pay for, should of went with 6.5 they fit in the same pods, Kickers in 2 way pack a punch, the splits sound good..
Kenwood and pioneer these days are not much chop, if your not happy buy a good pair and flog off the ones you just got. Don't buy from supercheap or Repco go to Autobarn and talk to them. Also have a look at the reviews on google on car speakers in Australia...

just swapped out my stocky door speakers in the sv6 for some kenwood 6inch speakers and im a little disappointed in the sound difference tbh.
the stock speakers had a much deeper cone which gave them decent low tone. but the new 6 inch speakers are all slim line and sound more tinny and sharp. they dont sound as good imo. not running an amp, just off the stock head unit.

i think ill be keeping my berlinas speakers stock

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6, 04 berlina, 07 crewman
As the old saying goes you get what you pay for, should of went with 6.5 they fit in the same pods, Kickers in 2 way pack a punch, the splits sound good..
Kenwood and pioneer these days are not much chop, if your not happy buy a good pair and flog off the ones you just got. Don't buy from supercheap or Repco go to Autobarn and talk to them. Also have a look at the reviews on google on car speakers in Australia...

yeah i did first get the 6.5's but they didnt fit in the factory holders. so went back to autobarn and swapped them over for 6 inch which are a straight swap over.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
yeah i did first get the 6.5's but they didnt fit in the factory holders. so went back to autobarn and swapped them over for 6 inch which are a straight swap over.

That's strange I have replaced a few in Commodores only thing is the screw hole location, they still fit straight in without changing the pods, all you have to do is drill self tapping screws into the plastic where the new speaker holes are after putting the speakers in a good position..