Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "Which speakers should i buy" thread

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
**** good saving man. let me know how the fusion splits go. Im looking at upgrading from the jvc 6" coax ive got in my front doors.

I wrote a review on the Ryda Car Audio web site, down the bottom of the page, if you are interested still. :)

Yay, it's now a sticky.

Last edited:

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
hmmm looks like I will be investing in a pair. look mate can you elaborate more on how they ran off the head unit. cause Thats what theyll be running off for the foreseeable future. until i can afford a fairly deccent 4 channel amp.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
hmmm looks like I will be investing in a pair. look mate can you elaborate more on how they ran off the head unit. cause Thats what theyll be running off for the foreseeable future. until i can afford a fairly deccent 4 channel amp.

Sure thing! When I first tried them on the head unit, I found the mid bass to be average, though still tight. With the tweeters, I found they work best on 0, not +3 dB, as they can be a bit to bright on sound. Though that all comes down to where you mount them, and it all comes down to trial and error. With the 4" I just mounted them in the factory dash holes. I would suggest that you go the extra mile and sound deaden the doors, regardless of what speakers you get. That way the speakers will perform at their very best! But when you amp them, you will notice a big difference!

I'm really happy with my purchase! :thumbsup:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
"I found they work best on 0, not +3 dB, as they can be a bit to bright on sound."

Just on that note, dont you think they should change the marking on crossovers......i mean how can it "amplify" the frequencies going to the tweeter by 3db?

It should have: -6db,-3db,0db.

Just thought i'd bring it up as it always gets me thinking whenever im wiring a crossover ;)

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
"I found they work best on 0, not +3 dB, as they can be a bit to bright on sound."

Just on that note, dont you think they should change the marking on crossovers......i mean how can it "amplify" the frequencies going to the tweeter by 3db?

Just thought i'd bring it up as it always gets me thinking whenever im wiring a crossover ;)

heres a thought: given that db is a dimensionless unit, the +3 is not in place to suggest amplification, but a difference of +3db above the reference level. They can set the reference wherever they want, so they probably decided it would make more sense to have a positive to increase rather then a double negative maybe? i have no philosophical objections :)

i think my bostons have -2, -4, 0

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II

heres a thought: given that db is a dimensionless unit, the +3 is not in place to suggest amplification, but a difference of +3db above the reference level. They can set the reference wherever they want, so they probably decided it would make more sense to have a positive to increase rather then a double negative maybe? i have no philosophical objections :)

i think my bostons have -2, -4, 0

Yeah maybe. Suppose the extra 3 dB's would come in handy if you wanted to mount the tweets the old fashion way, down on the kick panels. Just a thought.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
So my understanding is the designers have set the reference level (0 on the xover) at -3db , then you can adjust the output to suit your needs and installation.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
So my understanding is the designers have set the reference level (0 on the xover) at -3db , then you can adjust the output to suit your needs and installation.

On the settings with the crossover, it has +3dB, 0 and -3dB. You can select the tweeter response, with the switch on the crossover. Just set it to your personal preference.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
Yeah maybe. Suppose the extra 3 dB's would come in handy if you wanted to mount the tweets the old fashion way, down on the kick panels. Just a thought.

I think this has alot to do with it...