Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "Which speakers should i buy" thread

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
Is there much of a difference between Pioneer & Alpine?? I previously had Kenwood 6x9 in teh back of my VN (No Subs) and 6" Pioneer in the front, hooked up to JVC EXAD, KD AVX2. I have now got my VY and am looking at installing some new speakers. Not sure what to go with. Have had heard good things about Alpine but are they really worth the extra $$? i was pretty happy with the Kenwood & Pioneer. i am just lookinga t splits in the front & already have 6" in the back.Speaker Amp, Subs & amp to come, but will discuss them later.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yes Mavr1k, there is definately a difference between Alpine and Pioneer. Just look at the starting prices of both manafatuers entry level products, and the products themselves, they don't even compare. And then have at alpines top of the range equipment, their Type X products, they are clearly a superior product. Car audio is like most things, you get what you pay for. Sure there are some execptions because some brands make better componets at better prices. All Alpine gear is pretty decent, where as some of Poineer, (or any of the other more mainstream brands) some is ****, some is ok, and some are decent.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well it depends, what type of car is it, where are they going, and what is the budget, and what is your goal as far as the overall set up goes?

Have a look at Alpines website Alpine.com.au it's excellent site in a way because not only do they list the nominal RMS output of all thier products, but they also list the individual prices next to each item. Although you can expect to get items a little cheaper from a retailer.

VZ lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Exec
i just finishing up my install on my vz.
got some polk splits in front forgot wat the name was,
mtx 6x9 on parcel shelf and and both splits and 6x9's amped by a sony.
just blew up my option audio 500rms amp from dead cell in battery and running 2 12' mtx subs sealed at 400rms.
needed a cat10 and gotta change headunit and aiming to find one with 3 x rca (5v) to put subs back in.

iv heard mixed things about alpine, like autobarn loves em but other places dont.
but u buy acording to wat they sound like acording to wat u listen to.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I may as well post here, rather than starting another thread. Does anyone have Type R splits, or had in the past? I've heard they are not all that efficient, working best with around 150 RMS per speaker? My amplifier produces 125 RMS per channel, would i be limiting their performance? I'm considering purchasing a set this weekend.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I've never owned Type-r's but by all accounts they take a lot of power to run, but will go pretty hard if you do feed it to them. I think I mentioned the other day that there might be better sounding speakers around for the same money but these will definately be loud!

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Not at all, I think that should be enough to get them working.