Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "Which speakers should i buy" thread

bigpaulyb25

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssV wagon
we went with mb quartz..they are that clear its rediculous

squidsVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S Supercharged
I find that even if you keep everything simple you can get a nice bassy sound, even if you use the stock Eurovox headunit and existing speaker locations, I'm currently running:

• Existing Eurovox headunit (till it breaks)
  • Sony Xplod 600W 4 channel Amplifier (mounted under passenger seat and connected via speaker wire input - Not RCA).
  • Boston Acoustic 6.5" Rally Components (in factory location in doors - tweeters and crossovers in dash)
  • Boston Acoustic Rally 10" Subwoofer in Custom built 0.8cubic foot enclosure (see attached picture) - subwoofer is directed up through right rear parcel tray speaker hole.
  • Phoenix Gold speaker wire (everywhere - don't be cheap on cabling)
  • Phoenix Gold 4guage Power Cable to Amp (Not run in car next to Speaker wires)
  • Phoenix Gold 40A inline fuse (mounted within 12inches of Battery terminal for safety)

And Enjoy!!:rockon:

Attachments

• 2010_1013subwoofer0003.jpg
    2010_1013subwoofer0003.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 431

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I would just like to say, I just recently got a Mazda MX-5 and had to replace the Alpine 2-ways in the doors.

I opted for the Jaycar 6.5" Response speakers - rated at 60w RMS, for $35 each. I had a pair of tweeters I had bought from Jaycar a few years back, so bought 0.1mH inductors for the 6.5" woofers and did the install.

They have a MUCH bigger magnet than the Alpines did and sit deeper in the door. The cone's suspension also sits higher, and the speakers were a bit wide so I had to be pretty creative with some sealant to get a good seal.

At the moment I only have them running off the head unit and they are SERIOUSLY good. Nice and punchy, unfortunately the MX has a lot of rattles and road noise being a convertible so unfortunately you lose a lot of bass while driving.

But, to compensate for that I will be buying 2x 8" Response woofers rated at 90w RMS at 8ohms for $40 each from Jaycar in the future and will do a very neat invisible install under the parcel shelf :).

So, to recap on price:

$35 each for 6.5" 60w RMS woofers.
$40 each for 8" 90w RMS subwoofers
$25 each for 25mm Tweeters ( 25mm Silk Dome Car Tweeter - Jaycar Electronics ) which come with crossovers (I don't have this product)
$299 for a 4x 100w amp

So that's $200 for all the speakers (Components in the front, 2x 8" subs in the back), $299 for the amp - then add the cost of cabling and you still have a seriously good install for under $600 - not including the price of an enclosure for the subs, but since mine are going into the parcel shelf of an MX-5 I don't need to worry about this :)

Frank2112

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Wagon, VE II SV6
Just listened to some German Maestro speakers. Compared them to the Alpine DD Linears and they sounded just as nice but cost less. It all depends on what sounds good to your ears.

konaboy

jase
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 series 1
i have a vn sedan and im putting in kicker 6"splits 500watts in the front and im thinking about puting kicker 6"splits 500watts in at the rear all powerd by 1 six channel kicker amp for something different. ive heard 6x9s dont sound right because they are diong to many things at once................

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
i have a vn sedan and im putting in kicker 6"splits 500watts in the front and im thinking about puting kicker 6"splits 500watts in at the rear all powerd by 1 six channel kicker amp for something different. ive heard 6x9s dont sound right because they are diong to many things at once................

No one that has any knowledge about car audio cares about your max power ratings, start talking RMS to not seem like a tool :)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline

Holy watts Batman!!

STR82H3LL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
Polk and soundstream

Just installed 4 pairs of polk db splits in my front doors with tweeters in the a-pillars running of 2 x soundstream reference 4.920 amps. the midbass is so clear dont even need subwoofers.

broosey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
i want to put a deasant amp in mine does anyone know whats good, im sorta new to this...