Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

There was an almighty KABOOM in my SV6 engine( ecotech)

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
I wouldnt give up the thought that it may be associated with the timing chain caused problem.
the fact it isnt blowing any smoke rules out piston fail and no sever knocking noise would more that likely rule out main or big end bearing problems. it may be a lifter, or camshaft problem bought about by either slipping from the timing chain or wheels.
Is the oil pressure light on?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wild guess a component failure from the timing chain job...
The thing is they have your car and probably won't admit it if it was their fault.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
I wouldnt give up the thought that it may be associated with the timing chain caused problem.
the fact it isnt blowing any smoke rules out piston fail and no sever knocking noise would more that likely rule out main or big end bearing problems. it may be a lifter, or camshaft problem bought about by either slipping from the timing chain or wheels.
Is the oil pressure light on?

the oil light came on the engine light came on ...and it reverted to 75000kms service ......

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If the oil light came on, but there is normal level of oil in the car, that's very bad. The dealer is talking bottom end problem, this is not good. Hopefully it works out to be something not too bad, but it's not sounding good at all.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Without actually hearing the noise is difficult to say what the problem may be however the timing chain sprocket may be the problem and as the oil pump is tied in with this area it may be the answer to the oil light remaining on.
what needs to be done is an inspection in this area by removing the timing chain again.
Let us know what "holden" find please.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Without actually hearing the noise is difficult to say what the problem may be however the timing chain sprocket may be the problem and as the oil pump is tied in with this area it may be the answer to the oil light remaining on.
what needs to be done is an inspection in this area by removing the timing chain again.
Let us know what "holden" find please.

JUST IN apparently I have done the main bearings of the crankshaft ...not fault of mine or of Holdens....10days post timing chain replacement with no sign of any problems ...so thet are going to go goodwill with Holden or try ...this is doing my head and it will do my bank account in!!! aaarrrggghhh

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
lets just hope they do the job correctly and not just a patch up job.
When you get it back oil change the vehicle every 7500 klms with a new filter. Yes it will cost you a bit more but you wont get problems with any build up of sludge. Try and get them to show you what caused the bearing to fail EG did something enter the oil to block the oil way when they worked on the timing chain?

Sludge doesnt have to be seen in huge amounts to do damage to bearings, just enough to block the oil ways or pieces of lint from a rag, which results in what happened. also insure your radiator is flushed every 12 months. Get someone to show you how to change the oil yourself.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
JUST IN apparently I have done the main bearings of the crankshaft ...not fault of mine or of Holdens....10days post timing chain replacement with no sign of any problems ...so thet are going to go goodwill with Holden or try ...this is doing my head and it will do my bank account in!!! aaarrrggghhh

Yeah right, 10 days after someone worked on something it fails it's definitely related........

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
I've been trying to find a picture to make it clearer to me but does the timing chain go around the crankshaft?