Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

There was an almighty KABOOM in my SV6 engine( ecotech)

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
all i remember was the rev just kep going up by themselve to about 7500revs it wouldn't kick into gear, my hubby took his foot of the accelerator this woeful grinding noise started then a bang it waslike a tight rubber balloon gone too far
buto be told all prlimary test were ok and the cars running fine on 1st inspection to no two maine bearing on the crankshaft have been damaged but unrelated to the timing chain that was replaced 10 prior.....mmmmmmIm not stupid'

If it would not change gear and reved to 7500 rpm I would say you probably have an auto trans problem to start with and the fact it reved to 7500 rpm probably damaged the main bearings. So you would also need to find out why it did not change up a gear. You probably have two problems.

Malice VE

Reaction score
Well abuse or not , not personally knowing the ppl or not , a nice car is now dead.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Everybody is pointing the finger at Holden and ignoring the fact that the driver was abusing the motor by smashing it off the limiter for an unspecified amount of time when the damage occured.

it went up to 7500 rev uncontrolled we didn't rev up that far and have never done so it kept gone by it's own volition we didn't rev it up.....that's what alerted us to something was wrong

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If it would not change gear and reved to 7500 rpm I would say you probably have an auto trans problem to start with and the fact it reved to 7500 rpm probably damaged the main bearings. So you would also need to find out why it did not change up a gear. You probably have two problems.

I'm thinking same, why did it rev out like that, apart from the bottom end problem, is there some other issue here? Has the bearing problem come about due to the over revving engine.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
kept gone by it's own volition we didn't rev it up.....

Your first post.
Background:- just coming out from a 40kms zone going to 100kms my car wouldn't kick into gear ..rev's over 6000.

And when you subsequently added more information.
all i remember was the rev just kep going up by themselve to about 7500revs it wouldn't kick into gear, my hubby took his foot of the accelerator

Quite clearly, you've twice confirmed, and by logic that the acceleration was planned and carried out to that extent to try and have the vehicle drop into gear. In doing so, you have hit the limiter quite aggressivly for an undisclosed period of time which has in turn caused bearings to spin and the damage to be sustained to the motor.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
I point the finger at holden due to the fact the lady says they told her on the first occasion that everything was fine, the they introduce the bearing claim.
Holden have all the diagnostic gear available to them and should they have done their job correctly they wouldn't have told her everything check out ok.
I have had numerous problems with holden's servicing and can assure you not all holden dealers are honest in their dealings with the public.
The fact the the vehicle defaulted to a 75000 km service reminder would also indicate that there is possibly something not right with the ECU.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
I point the finger at holden due to the fact the lady says they told her on the first occasion that everything was fine, the they introduce the bearing claim.
Holden have all the diagnostic gear available to them and should they have done their job correctly they wouldn't have told her everything check out ok.
I have had numerous problems with holden's servicing and can assure you not all holden dealers are honest in their dealings with the public.
The fact the the vehicle defaulted to a 75000 km service reminder would also indicate that there is possibly something not right with the ECU.

I was told on the Thursday that there wasn't anything wrong with it but by Friday "oh it's Bottom end problems" and Monday "well it's all good from our end"...I wasn't driving my husband was and I can ascertain to the sore shoulder (unnecessary now) he has from me hitting him because I thought he was accelerating to hard....When he said he had know Idea what was happening and he took what ever pressure he had off the accelerator that's when it just went pear shape Thank you Pebbs for making me feel as though I'm not being cynical ..10days post timing chain change ....and honestly the car prior to the timing chain change was running beautiful.... irony....Just talking with him now from my side of our family car he side the revs only got 5500max but from where I was sitting it looked more.....sorry for the misinfo

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Engine hitting limiter (for what ever reason) is no reason for it to spin a bearing or are the alloytec engines that fragile?

Something has clearly gone wrong, even if the PCM or trans ####ed up and put the engine on the limiter it should not have had a complete bottom end failure.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Totally agree with you, it should not have caused the bearing problem however they are at the mercy of the dealer who will cover their backside at any cost.
Unfortunately, we may never know the real reason why it happened.
The OP of the matter is it is going to be an enormous bill to repair the vehicle and for the diagnostics of it.
To get back to the ladys original question of what to do she will now have to way up the cost between having the dealer repair it or removing it from the dealer and having a second hand unit from a wreckers put in, the latter may work out cheaper depending on what they charge her for the work done so far.
A bugger of a position to be in either way.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
While free revving is very harsh on rod bearings, it shouldn't do that. I've known a few people to have them hitting the limiter daily, and on purpose too.