Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan for VK

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
have fitted Mondeo ones with success... its an easy fit up

Great, thanks for the info, did it matter what year the Mondeo was and what was the cooling performance like?

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
Great, thanks for the info, did it matter what year the Mondeo was and what was the cooling performance like?

was from a mondeo made sometime after 2000, will easily cool a 308, you just need to set the on - off temp switch correctly so that the fans come on about switch off about 5'c above your thermostat temp eg

run a 180'F thermostat (82'c)
have the switch trigger the fans on at 92'c and off at say 85'c

if you google "temperature switches" theres an excellent thread in the toyota forums about it all

use good quality heavy wire and a single 30A relay for each fan.
let the switch operate the fans by triggering the relays instead of acting on the power circuit 12V otherwise you may burn the switch out. ie run the relay earths to the temp switch.

there's also a handy clip on the top of the fan shroud which you should leave on as it clips over the radiator lip allowing the fans to hang, mount it up with some trans cooler plastic mounting straps.

AU is too wide in early commodores, and the EL-EF will fit with a little work.
I know of a VK stroker in Brisbane that runs well with the mondeos without drama and considering Qld's weather thats pretty good.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
AU is too wide in early commodores, and the EL-EF will fit with a little work.
I know of a VK stroker in Brisbane that runs well with the mondeos without drama and considering Qld's weather thats pretty good.

Fantastic news, I have the temperature control all sorted. I may take a crack at the EL-EF setup (side by side configuration) but I thought they were wider than the AU set (staggered/offset configuration)? Also being a 6 cyl the radiator has hose outlets on the opposite sides.

Edit: I got some dimensions from a wrecker over the phone and it does seem that the EL is 695mm wide which should just make it. The edge of the fans will overhang the radiator but it should still fit, the only issue I can see is that I will have to disconnect my trans cooler lines and go for a VT cooler on the front.

Last edited:

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
Fantastic news, I have the temperature control all sorted. I may take a crack at the EL-EF setup (side by side configuration) but I thought they were wider than the AU set (staggered/offset configuration)? Also being a 6 cyl the radiator has hose outlets on the opposite sides.

Edit: I got some dimensions from a wrecker over the phone and it does seem that the EL is 695mm wide which should just make it. The edge of the fans will overhang the radiator but it should still fit, the only issue I can see is that I will have to disconnect my trans cooler lines and go for a VT cooler on the front.

be careful and make sure you do your own measurements in the yard rather than forking out $$ and then getting it home to find that they're a bastard to fit, you also need to ensure that the shroud doesnt have any "air leaks" when fitted up to the radiator. you want them to pull cold air through the radiator, not hot air from in the engine bay through any gaps in the shroud,

also when you extrat them from the donor car, take as much of the wire to them as you can, it\ll help when you go to wire em up.

BTW where are you based?

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
be careful and make sure you do your own measurements in the yard rather than forking out $$ and then getting it home to find that they're a bastard to fit, you also need to ensure that the shroud doesnt have any "air leaks" when fitted up to the radiator. you want them to pull cold air through the radiator, not hot air from in the engine bay through any gaps in the shroud,

also when you extrat them from the donor car, take as much of the wire to them as you can, it\ll help when you go to wire em up.

BTW where are you based?

No worries, I have a spare old radiator I will take with me to do a test fit. I found a pic (Courtesy of golum) of a VL radiator (similar width size) with the EL's on it and there appears to be a bit of overlap on the sides but the owner still claims good performance. I am in SA.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/philbios/000_0920_resize_2.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/philbios/EFTwin14ThermoFans2.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/philbios/000_0918_resize_2_2.jpg

Last edited:

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
thats heaps of overlap, you'll also find that a VL has a slightly wider rad support panel too... I wouldnt copy what's in that photo.

the mondeo ones sit about 20mm in from the edge of the tanks on either side and will fit up to a 6 or 8 radiator, even with the fan offset

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
OK Thanks, I will try to find some Mondeo Fans to try on for size, difficult and expensive Adelaide.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
OK Thanks, I will try to find some Mondeo Fans to try on for size, difficult and expensive Adelaide.

your best bet is to go to a pick a part place where they charge a flat rate for the part regardless of the model it came off, we have a good one here in Melbourne that does em.... maybe $50