Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan for VK

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Saw this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190031567658

Has anyone installed this or a similar setup in their VK? I am interested in these but not sure if it's worth it.

I am guessing the way it would be hooked up is you run the smaller fans wiring to the existing air con wiring so when the air con is on, that fan will switch on and off when the compressor does?
With the larger one I assume that it would be connected to a thermostat switch on the manifold or whatever and would switch on the fan when the temperature is reached? What rated temperature switch would you need?

Thanks.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
And what would you do with the old fan? Just remove it and let the pulley run without the fan?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
I ran a similar davis craig setup on the VL with 2 10" fans (from memory)

they were powered through a 30 amp relay each, and switched on via a davis craig variable thermostat, available at Supercheap I believe. The idea was to set the temp so the fans only stayed on for a short time (say 20 seconds) and cut out, therefore not draining the electrical system.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
yes to the second

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
thinking about it a mate had an XY stroker with 2 fans off an el with a similar variable switch setup

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Theres more VT twins on ebay mate, keep looking ive seen a set for 165 new or 185 new even 154 at one stage.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Thanks Goon. I was just using that link as an example, not buying anything yet.

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
One warning:
You will need to trim the 4 bolts that previously attached the clutch fan to the water pump, to avoid them threading to far and locking the water pump.

And as for a thermostat switch, I really back the kit that jaycar sells for thermofans. If your confident with a soldering iron its the go. Shits on all the others for functionality and price ($35).

You can set the engage temperature and also how many degrees the temperature has to fall below that point for it to disengage.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
One warning:
You will need to trim the 4 bolts that previously attached the clutch fan to the water pump, to avoid them threading to far and locking the water pump.

I had no trouble with mine.............must of been pretty close.