Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan fuse and relays

bluejuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Today my thermo fan didn't work when the car heated up sitting at traffic lights. Where is the fuse? in the engine bay or under the dash and where is the relay located?
Thanks

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
pop the cover off the fuse/relay panel under the bonnet, everything should be marked

protossw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 EXECUTIVE
you can change it with a relatively unimportant relay in the box like high beam or horn,,,to see if it it the problem of relay or fuse

bluejuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I've had a quick look and was going to swap a relay over but before I went to do that I thought I'd see if it came on when I put the air con on and it did, so as it works with the air con I figured it's probably not the relay. It must be a sensor not working. So does any one know where the sensor is?

bluejuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK swaped the relays and no change must be the sensor.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Could be a faulty coolant temperature sensor, check that it is connected properly first. The temperature sensor is located just under the thermostat, its not the temperature sender, which has the small black plug, its the thicker cylindrical object, sitting just below the thermostat outlet. New one is about $15 or so from Holden.

bluejuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yay, Gotta love the internet and forums. Thanks for the advice, bought a new coolant temp senser $15.80 changed it this am, now working fan fine kicks in at 2/5 and turns off at 3/10 on the gauge.
Only trouble is to get at it I had to undo the alternater so I disconected the battery and now the radio doesn't work. I don't have the code I will do a quick search here to see if there is a way to overide it somehow.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Yay, Gotta love the internet and forums. Thanks for the advice, bought a new coolant temp senser $15.80 changed it this am, now working fan fine kicks in at 2/5 and turns off at 3/10 on the gauge.
Only trouble is to get at it I had to undo the alternater so I disconected the battery and now the radio doesn't work. I don't have the code I will do a quick search here to see if there is a way to overide it somehow.
You should be able to ask your Holden dealer for the code, all you need is proof of ownership and your VIN number. Might pay to ring around a few dealers though, some charge you for the handing out the code....