Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan issues..

Sdel179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6
over the last few days I have noticed the AC really struggling.. when I start my VY ecotec and turn on the ac the main bigger fan runs but the small one doesnt start.. if I remove the high speed relay the one closest the to drivers side (black) and re install it the small fan will run for about 10 seconds and the relay clicks off and the smaller fan stops I have swapped relays with others the same spec but the same thing happens.. if I unplug the connection at the radiator the same thing happens when I reconnect it.. runs a few seconds then stops.. the last few days have been high 30s.. please help.. the car is not running hot still sits below half

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you checked the low speed relay?
It's a 5 pin relay and MUST be replaced with a holden spec one.

Sdel179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6
Have you checked the low speed relay?
It's a 5 pin relay and MUST be replaced with a holden spec one.

Yes I replaced the low speed relay this morning the white one.. made no difference.. I'm thinking the air con is low on gas..the relay cuts the negative side of the power supply to the small fan within a few seconds.. the high speed relay cut off.. I have jumped the negative side of the small fan to the battery and the fan runs fine.. I noticed when you disconnect the power to both fans the air con struggles more.. makes sense as the condenser is struggling to cold.. but even with the two fans running the smaller earthed to the battery as it's the only way it will run the air con is struggling to cool the car..

Sdel179

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6
Ok.. So the air con was low on gas it had a leaking TX valve very common I was told.. it's the oval metal section where the two lines from the air con go into the car on the passengers side near the windscreen for those that don't know.. and a shradder valve was leaking thats one of the charge points for regas or pressure test.. the VY fan operation is different to early commodores.. the smaller fan will only run when required.. yesterday it was 41 degrees in the driveway ac running the car was idling for 10 minutes the second fan didn't start the temperature gauge was at a quarter the whole time and ac was running fine.. the compressor in the VY basically won't cycle so the clutch will no cut off and on I was advised.. it may disengage the clutch after about 20 minutes or so.. but not like my Subaru that's on for like 30 seconds off for like 20 then back on..