Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermo fan not shutting down

Coaly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV8 Auto
I wouldn't be too worried unless it stops and engine gets hot, or keeps going when engine is off. Think of it as a pro-active fan, but yeah makes you uneasy when there is something not working as it should. Does it kick on with the car off/ignition on? Have you tried it on a cold morning?

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
ive had the exact same problem in my VS ute about 6 months ago. think its an aftermarket thermo but it was the relay that caused the problem.
i just blew another one last nite changing the battery, must of shorted it out. ive got a switch inside the cabin to manually turn the thermo on and off. i switch it on all the time. better safe than sorry.

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Just had a look at the numbering on the posts, 3 of them match up albeit one is an 87a the other an 87.

The other two are out, with the original one stamped 98, supercheap one stamped 30. The other incorrect post the original is stamped 30, supercheap one stamped 86.

Will pick up the correct replacement relay on Tuesday and fingers crossed the problem is no longer.

Could you upload a quick video on how to swap relays and where to find? Having the same problem with my VE Ute :/

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Yes, fixed it instantly.

For what its worth stick with Genuine gear after all if the original one has lasted 10 years its proven itself and 90% of time its on par with the price of a cheap arse generic look a like.Good to hear its all sorted mate:lock:

Stattogirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman
Hey I have an 05 Statemans thermo fans aren't turning on until the car is off. Would this be a relay issue aswell or something completely different thank you