Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermo fan not shutting down

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Hi all,

Have had an issue after pulling up at home yesterday in my ute, thermo fan was still running after I turned ignition off.... Couldn't work out the prob so undid the battery. Went back to start it this morning, after re-attaching the battery terminal the fan came on again instantly.

Had a read through several forums to try and diagnose the problem. Most posts were saying it was a relay that needed replacing...

Went and identified the relay that when pulled out would shut down the fan and drove down to Supercheap to pick up another one ( It's the 5 lug engine cooling fan relay 1 in the owners handbook) . Upon installing the new relay the problem hasn't gone away...

I suspect it could be something else, perhaps a dodgy wire somewhere?, coolant thermostat?
Has this happened to anyone else and did you find an answer before booking it in for some professional help?

Regards,

SS Manual.

richo7502000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS, Harley Davidson VRSCF V-Rod Muscle
Its normally the relay because Holden even released a Techline on this one as they had heaps of this occuring!
By chance did you start the car and switch it off again, the BCm may have hung up too locking the fault in.
Cheers
Richo

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
I did try restarting and running the engine the first time it happened yes, probably ran it for about five/ten seconds. Didn't sort the problem so went about undoing the battery terminal after that.

You say it's a common fault Richo, the new relay hasn't seen any difference with the issue.

With the BCM "hanging up" do you mean that it has saved it in its memory to keep the fan running non-stop?

If so, would I having undone the battery terminal and leaving it overnight not have re-set the BCM, is there a simple way to reset the BCM? Will do a search.

Thanks for your feedback mate,

Regards,

SS Manual.

Last edited:

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
prob incorrect relay , i went to supercheap to get some relays in cluding the 5 pin one and some 4 pin ones an they were incorrect ( numbering on the poles) went to a few other spare parts joints and had the same problem , most of the relays that they stock are for driving lights etc . goto an autolec or holden and get the correct relays . They arnt expensive for genuine ones from your dealer . I had this same problem !!!!

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
prob incorrect relay , i went to supercheap to get some relays in cluding the 5 pin one and some 4 pin ones an they were incorrect ( numbering on the poles) went to a few other spare parts joints and had the same problem , most of the relays that they stock are for driving lights etc . goto an autolec or holden and get the correct relays . They arnt expensive for genuine ones from your dealer . I had this same problem !!!!
the holden one costs the same as the ones at repco or supercheap anyway... tell em which one it is and you know youve got the right relay... no point messing about only to find you got the wrong relay

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Just had a look at the numbering on the posts, 3 of them match up albeit one is an 87a the other an 87.

The other two are out, with the original one stamped 98, supercheap one stamped 30. The other incorrect post the original is stamped 30, supercheap one stamped 86.

Will pick up the correct replacement relay on Tuesday and fingers crossed the problem is no longer.

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
So did it fix it?? Coz I just havin same problem as

Coaly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV8 Auto
Had same prob in my vz sv8, disconnected the thermo plug behind the radiator for the day an problem solved. Seemed to be plug wasn't fully pushed in allowing moisture to bridge the gap with igniton off. 2 weeks later hasn't happened again.

-Coaly.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
My thermo fan is running non stop when the ignition is on, anyone know what the cause to that may be? It switches off with the ignition but runs non stop as soon as the engine is running? Engine is not running hot obviously, considering it starts as soon as the car does too. Perhaps a temp sensor somewhere?