Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo Fan Not working correctly :(

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Hey guy's, I have recently noticed that in drive thru and in heavy traffic my car is very quick to heat up..
The low speed thermo fan would never kick in so I usually just keep the A/C on (and It really ****'s me because the A/C does not even work so I'm still boiling hot and need the window open) but anyways.. usually have the ac on and that keeps the fan spinning and its all sweet :) but just recently the ac does not even turn the fan on.. yes at about 3/4 temp gauge the high speed cut's in but its not good enough and I don't want it to get really hot so quickly and even keep at that temp because high speed keeps kicking off once it thinks it will be ok :/ Anyways... tried removing the temp sensor and starting the car but no fan came on... (I think the temp sensor is right near the thermostat housing just below, right??) and yeh no fan at all...

Just want to know if anyone has had this problem because everyone else's say's that theirs works with ac..

Im sweet to hard wire it with a switch in cabin if you guys think it will be a bitch to do but if it is a cheap fix i might fix it no?

Thank's in advance,cheer's guys :)

P.S I put 3 core aluminium 52mm radiator in with good nulon coolant so i don't know if that makes a difference? been in a while now so if anything if it was that then the fan should have ####ed up ages ago no? cheer's again..

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Low speed fan relay possibly.... To test pull out the SENDER unit which is the single wire plug on the bottom of the thermo housing and should be 6 seconds then 10 seconds I think feel free to correct me someone!

Ac probably not working due to low pressure switch if u say it doesn't work and has been getting worse might have finally got below the threshold for the low pressure switch.... Hence no fan action....

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Check the relays, or hook up a multimeter to the fan to see if its getting power.
Hooking up a switch is an easy job and shouldn't take long.

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
****! all my fault! I recently pressed the ac gas thing near the filler hole of the radiator to see if i still had gas and that probably made it have less pressure and screw up
:( Ahh well.. Will try get a new relay tomorrow, anyone know if their is another relay that is the same so i can plug it in and test before spending the money?
Prefer it to be factory rather than have a switch for the fan but then again would prefer a nice cool engine rather than a little non genuine looking switch lol.. :) Thanks guy's :)