Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan or not....

jason75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina 5.0
G'day
just after some feed back on people who have replaced the old fan with a thermo fan and whether its worth doing and was there much of a gain power wise or not..
any info would be appreciated

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
there's no power gain at all from thermos. and there's an old saying, if it's not broken don't fix it. ;) does your car overheat? if not then leave it the way it is. the clutch fan was designed to keep the 304 at the exact right temperature and i've never had any problems with it at all :)

if you do decide to go thermos, you must use the au twin thermo set up. don't buy the single fans off ebay - they're hopeless!

jason75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina 5.0
ok then i wont bother then my fan is fine ,like everyone i was just after a bit more power but if im gaining nothing i wont worry about it then..thanks levymetal
thats a choice picture of the cat ,looks like my ex when i said she couldn't have the credit card !!

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
haha never give a woman a credit card...

what have you done to your car so far? best value for money performance:
* Cold Air Intake (CAI)
* 2.5 inch catback
* Greenfoam tune

and if your plugs and leads haven't been changed in the past year, i'd go ahead and get new ones as well. new dizzy cap and rotor button wouldn't hurt either.

should get your car moving :)

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
i found after a good clean up my car still got hot with the clutch fan - i mean i replaced radiator hoses everything - still got hot - put the au thermos on and never seen the car so cold - barely registers past quarter - it was probabbly my clutch fan worn out or somehting but still at 100 for the thermos and 25 for temp switch - it all works good and looks good

jason75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina 5.0
yeah all that plus a corvette servo in the gear box ,i mean it goes good since doing all that there hasnt been a car beat me ''except for a supercharged v8 jag and a b4 turbo subaru but he is running huge non standard turbos i carnt remember what ones..was gonna do a 70mm throttle body but everyone said im wasting my time there as well so im running out of ideas.

jason75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina 5.0
i found after a good clean up my car still got hot with the clutch fan - i mean i replaced radiator hoses everything - still got hot - put the au thermos on and never seen the car so cold - barely registers past quarter - it was probabbly my clutch fan worn out or somehting but still at 100 for the thermos and 25 for temp switch - it all works good and looks good

gee thats cheap when i was looking before the cheapest i found them fans was about $160.00 and thats without the temp switch.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
yeah all that plus a corvette servo in the gear box ,i mean it goes good since doing all that there hasnt been a car beat me ''except for a supercharged v8 jag and a b4 turbo subaru but he is running huge non standard turbos i carnt remember what ones..was gonna do a 70mm throttle body but everyone said im wasting my time there as well so im running out of ideas.

Time for a cam..or some headwork...or some rockers...or a supercharger

jason75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina 5.0
ha funny you should say that crazy biker i was originally going to put a cam and a bit of head work but i blew the gearbox a few weeks before hand so that was the end of that idea..

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Have a word with STEALTHY, he'll try and convince you to put a T56 gearbox in to replace it :p

He wanted me to do it too :D