Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan settings

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
I have a V8 VS. Just wondering at what stage on the temp gauge should the aftermarket thermo fan kick in. It's set to go on when it's around 1/8 under half way on the temp gauge. Is this right or should it come on earlier? It seems
to domtbe trick where it is, but just wondering where the "standard" setting is.
Cheers

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
low on at 105c and high on at 110c if that helps around half way is 100/105 and 3/4 is 110c

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
That sounds about right. Mine come on around half way. I have AU thermos controlled by a Motec ECU.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Ignore the dash gauge as anything other than a vague guide and an indication of any abnormal condition.

low on at 105c and high on at 110c if that helps around half way is 100/105 and 3/4 is 110c

In a V8 VT, same engine with a factory fitted thermo fan, it's a little lower. The "How To" on switching thermo fans has the switching temps in it somewhere.

It's not easy to measure the engine temp. directly so you might use the resistance (or backprobed Voltage) of the temp. sender. The specs. for the sender are probably around on the web somewhere or drop a spare into boiling water and match the resistance to the temp. as it cools. (V8's switch low speed at less than 100C, extrapolate the resistance for the high speed if it's over 100C - I think it is).

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yeh it's 95c for low and 104 for high on vt v8 i think.