Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan

Quinzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP HSV Clubsport 5th anniversary
just a quick question, I want to get rid of my clutch fan and put thermo fan/fans on my vp hsv v8, I have been told the vs v6 one will fit on with minor modifications, is this a good idea or what do people usually use?

con7502003

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5ltr
i put vt ones on my vn 5ltr everyone reckons there no good but they work fine on mine and a real easy fit

Quinzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks guys

Quinzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
next question, what do ya do with the canister, sits right in the way of where the thermos sit???

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I used AU thermo's which fitted with minor modifications. You can wire it thru the relay that is in the box next to the RHS shock tower - all the wiring is there for the v6 although you will need to upgrade the fuse and turn it on in the ECU. As for the carbon canister, I just bent it out of the way.

I have seen some others post that a Ford Mondeo thermo also fits very well however I've never seen one in person to be sure.

Reaper

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
as above i also used au thermo fans and they are quite powerful and work very well, the carbon canister i moved to between the battery and power steering, fits well and doesn't move.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
ive used a the au thermos, they work MINT!!!!!!!//... as for the charcoal canister someone gave a me a great idea not long ago, its been moved down near the vacuum ball thingy passenger side of the car just extended the hoses..

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i moved the canister behind the front bar on the passenger side, just ran a longer hose for it. cleaned up the bay a bit and its still functional

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Hey Guys thought id ask here as i couldnt find wat im lookin 4 in other threads. Ive put in AU thermo fans in my VP 5L running off a manual switch thats then wired up to 2 relays (one 4 each fan) that works fine. Tho now ive had my memcal enabled so i can run it through the ECU so i can do away with the manual switch but i just have a couple things i need 2 find out 2 complete it properly.

1st thing the ECU on the 5L's only have the 1 pin out that im supposed 2 use (unlike the V6's that have 2) which is used by the A/C fan. The set temps on the memcal r working as ive noticed with out touching the wiring yet the A/C fan kicks in at certain temps so thats good. Tho wat i wanna know is will i still b able 2 use my A/C fan as per normal wen the A/C is switched on if i hook up the AU thermos 2 this pin out? or will i find the AU thermos will turn on along with the A/C fan?

Ive also notice the A/C fan seems 2 suck air out of the front of the car is that normal? or should it suck air in the same way the AU thermos do? just a bit concerned that if i do decide 2 use aircon they will b kinda fighting against each other? so is there a way around this?

let us know if any1 else has gone down that path as a few guys ive talked 2 so far hasnt really said much or anything at all.

cheers.