Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo in Vk help

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
It's cool.
if you want to be clever with how the fans come on, you can use a tach relay (commonly used in LPG conversions) to trigger the two fan relays so the fans only run while the engine is running. ie when the coil is emitting a pulse.

Good that you have it sorted, it is involved, but in my opinion worth it if done properly, and I enjoy reading your posts, they're among the more informative on here.

Gudgeon Pin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, VK EFI 5.0 Calais
The fan i got is 4 pronged thing think it was 6 banger one, dosen't get that hot on normal days just hot ones. it's not viscous it's constant so follows the revs. bolts up to vn waterpump and clears radiator comfortably. thought of putting in thermo but now that weather dosen't look like summer might not worry.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
The fan i got is 4 pronged thing think it was 6 banger one, dosen't get that hot on normal days just hot ones. it's not viscous it's constant so follows the revs. bolts up to vn waterpump and clears radiator comfortably. thought of putting in thermo but now that weather dosen't look like summer might not worry.

There is your problem,vn v8 should be at least running the 7 blade fan and viscous thermatic coupling with proper shroud.
You maybe keen to fit eleccy fans because they dont rob hp and give better fuel economy, in normal road use, complete fallacy.

Comparisons have been made with fixed fans robbing 15-25 +hp on the dyno at obscene rpms, but if the comparisons were done where you are driving the car forwards on real roads or with clutch fans at regular operating temp, then there would be no difference, the clutch fan is freewheeling for 99.9% of the time and even when it is thermatically engaged, rarely at highway speeds(it will roar and move a heap of air when you really need it) the clutch wont allow the fan to spin past 3000rpm and wont consume exponentially more power as the engine revs increase.