Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermostat Issue I Think

Arnie78

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Commodore
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice from the VE commodore pros :). Ive got a standard VE Commodore 06 Series 1 converted to gas. Ive having an issue with a coolant leak. This only happens when i stopped the engine, a bit of coolant leaks out from the bottom. I top it up about 100ml. Any thoughts to what it might be? Housing maybe? i heard these motors are problematic with the thermostat... However there isn't any warning lights, engine temp has increased below middle, it used to hover above the lower line end however i think the car wasnt getting up to the right temperature. Been looking through the replies to see peoples temps and now it seems pretty normal. No overheating problems at all.

I had an issue with the starter motor and got it replaced, lube mobile mech said you have a small leak coming from the thermostat.

I had it serviced a year ago, mech changed the top radiator hose and a few belts had to do it twice due to that buildup around the end hose top tank it seems to havent totally fixed it either. Its due for the 225000 service.

From your experience if it is the thermostat (inc the hosing and orings) whats the usual labour cost price in Melbourne? I can source the parts from Holden directly through trade.

If i have missed out some information let me know i will fill in the blanks.

Look forward to your replies

Cheers Arnie

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
There is common position that the VE Leaks from and that is on the front of the engine,
Where it may appear its leeking at the bottom as it tracks down the the front of the engine,
I have seen the fittings at the front of the motor when I did a motor replacement not long ago with my nephew,
but have not done the repair myself,
I have read its not a hard job to do, if you can spin a spanner.
Keeping in mind, its always best to have the Red coolant installed,
because it will always leave a snail trail of were its leaking from.

Going by what you have said you can source, and cleaning the area up in question,
I would also include Gasket cement, because a film of that can on the fittings can fix a problematic leak.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think I was charged 3.5hours for the thermostat. Can't remember as it was a long time ago, it might have been $350. Look underneath the car and see where the coolant is leaking from, front or back of the engine.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Common issue that makes it seam the thermostat is leaking but it can generally be the water inlet housing o'rings that are causing the leak as once it starts seeping out it runs along the valley and down the back of the motor. They are cheap and easy to replace. Just requires the inlet manifold to be removed to be able to replace them