Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermostat location 3.6L Alloytec..?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey All,

Just a question for any one out there who has been lucky enough to find and replace the thermostat in an Alloytec V6? (2007 VE)

Reason I ask is, we were just about to flush out the cooling system on Dad's Berlina and tried to get the Cooling system Cap off to have a geeze, to find it had pretty much seized solid to the aluminium neck. (White powdery corrosion). Being the investigative sort of bloke I am, :p Figured it'd be worth a look to see how gunked up it'd be.

Seems its been running a while on pure water, no coolant for quite some time.
Any ideas on how to go about cleaning out the cooling system??
Just flush it with a cooling system flush? Is there a 'better' brand to get, or straight water?

And one other thing while I'm at it! The connections on the heater hoses just above the drivers side exhaust manifold, (where the rubber pipes connect to the fixed metal pipes); Is weaping, are they easy to get off, is it just an 'O' ring sealing it? etc...

Cheers for any help/advice you can give! :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Thermostat is on the back of the engine, if it isnt overheating dont bother trying to get at it, it's a bastard.

Heater hose connections weeping is common, does it have metal crimps or hose clamps? If it has the crimps remove them and fit proper hose clamps. If that doesnt work replace the heater hoses they come as one complete part from the firewall to the plastic connectors.

Chuck a new Cap on, drain all the coolant out and grab some genuine Holden coolant (the red/orange stuff) 5ltrs will do, and do a 50/50 mix with water.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Cheers RiCeY, All good info there! After posting this thread I found a pic of a VZ Alloytec engine, (from behind it) and the thermostats just above the fly wheel?!! WTF? Greeeaaaat design :p

It has metal clip things on it, so might try some real hose clamps and see how it goes. :thumbsup:

Already got some new coolant, genuine, but now need a cap, so have to wait til Monday... :/
Only problem with mixing it before putting it in; When flushing it the block will still be full of water, wont it dilute the coolant even more? I was just going to pour most of the bottle in the radiator and top it up with water? :confused: :)
Does the cooling system hold 10-11L?

Cheers again!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The majority of the water will drain from the block but you can always make the coolant ratio stronger if you want.

I tried to find the capacity of the cooling system but had no luck so far. It might even be in your manual under specifications.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Thread digger. The alloytech 3.6l engine's cooling system takes 10 litres from dry. If you cannot get all of the water out, drain what you can and put 5 litres of coolant in then top up with demineralised water. Bleed the air out of the system.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
How long does the job take?

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
The air doesn't need to be bled from the system as the filler is the highest point, pour the stuff in wait 2-3 minutes and all done.