Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermostat recommendations for VS

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
gday there, just wondering which thermostat is highly recommended for a VS? I did a quick search and it didnt come up with much. Should I just go with GM or are there better options? Also what degree etc should I use? Thanks in advance and hopefully itll be useful in the future :thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i believe standard is a 196 degrees F. you can get a 180 degrees F(82 degrees C) that will fit. i've read that a hotter thermostat is good for economy and a cooler one for power. 80 degrees seems to be where most engines make good power, the LS1 engines i think make there best power at 79 degrees C and a lot of places sell these as a mod for the LS1 so running a cooler thermostat should be good for something otherwise it wouldn't be listed as a power mod, maybe???:thumbsup:

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
okay thanks dude yeah that sounds right, a colder engine so ive heard does produce more power because it is letting through more fuel, but dont hold that against me hehe. thanks heaps for your feedback, any more? :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Apart from the above, a colder opening thermostat will start dumping excess heat from the engine to the radiator a little bit earlier meaning that if you are working the engine under adverse conditions - towing, crawling in traffic etc, you will have a bit more leeway before the engine overheats. Efficiency is better with the hotter thermostat and this means economy and power (but you lose that leeway advantage the cooler one has). Using the hotter thermostats, modern engines run leaner and more efficiently plus reduce pollution levels.
I've always lived in the hotter parts of Australia so whenever I need to change a thermostat I will always fit the coldest one available....but thats a personal choice.

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
so which makes ya car more effient and give more power you both had different answers

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
A cooler thermostat will improve power output slightly, but ONLY if the coolant temp is actually between the new (colder) temp and the old (hotter) temp. Once the engine has been running for a while (not long at all... 10 mins maybe) the benefit is negated as the thermostat stays open fully after that point anyway. Your coolant temp is then regulated by the electric fan turning on and off.

So a cooler thermostat is good for drags where you are only running for a short time, but not much else. An upgraded radiator is a far better way to keep the engine cooler, albeit more expensive.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i beleive your a little off there, i run a 82degrees C thermostat in my VN and it always runs nice and cool, i.e. on the first white line ofthe temp gauge, with the standard thermostat it runs on about the 3rd line on the temp gauge. mine only creeps up that high when when stuck in traffic and there is no airflow accross the radiator which is the reason the fan is fitted to road cars etc. if your cooling fan keps coming on continuesly whilst your driving i'd suggest you have acooling problem. the engine should run at the temp that is on the thermostat fitted to the car. fitting a bigger radiator to a car and running the standard 196 degrees thermostat will not make the engine run any cooler as it's the thermostat that regulates the minimum temp ofthe engine. i also run a 82 degrees C thermostat on my V8 with link ECU which has an electrical engine temp reading for the coolant and that stays on 82 degrees even when going over 200kph and only warms up when sitting in traffic with standard radiator

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Come to think of it you may be right :) I stand corrected.

Oh and you are spot on... I DO have a cooling problem lol. I'm losing coolant from god knows where. Suspect the radiator cap is crook.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Come to think of it you may be right :) I stand corrected.

Oh and you are spot on... I DO have a cooling problem lol. I'm losing coolant from god knows where. Suspect the radiator cap is crook.

or it could be the water pump!

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Checked it already... its fine. When I say 'a cooling problem' I mean the temp is fine... stays nice and low, just that I need to keep an eye on the coolant level. Will have this fixed shortly when I put the car in for a service, or at least they will tell me where its leaking from when they do a pressure test.