Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermostat

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
hey guys i need a new thermostat but i dint know where the housing is i have a vn s2.

I've been told it's on the top right hand side do i need to drain it?

I need a detailed explination on how to do this if possible

thanks in advance

Leebo

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Its under the thermostat housing aka top hose fitting. 2 13mm bolts and your at it. Will need to drain some coolant, or just catch whats in the top hose and rinse off spills with water.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
hey guys i need a new thermostat but i dint know where the housing is i have a vn s2.

I've been told it's on the top right hand side do i need to drain it?

I need a detailed explination on how to do this if possible

thanks in advance

Leebo

Are you sure you have a S2? '89 vn's have the S1 motor unless it has been changed.

Either way, follow the top radiator hose to the motor, and there will lie your thermostat housing. S2 they were at the front, on drivers side. S1 were at the back of the motor, under the throttle body which are a pain to do.

There are plenty of threads already but basically, remove top radiator hose from the motor, unbolt thermostat housing, replace the thermostat and any o-ring/gasket and bolt everything back up. Then you just have to undo the radiator cap and top the coolant back up with the motor running, but it shouldnt have lost much.

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
That's the confusion bit it's had a motor change by the last owner so i think it's a series 2 not that it's anything to brag about but just for maitenence purposes would be handy lol.

yeah i will give it a crack maybe 2mos after work or on the weekend.

Did anyone know if i had to drop the coolant?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
That's the confusion bit it's had a motor change by the last owner so i think it's a series 2 not that it's anything to brag about but just for maitenence purposes would be handy lol.

yeah i will give it a crack maybe 2mos after work or on the weekend.

Did anyone know if i had to drop the coolant?

You will thank the last owner if they did swap it for a series 2, makes changing thermostats a fair bit easier. No need to drop the coolant, although its a good chance to do a flush and put some new coolant in if it needs it.

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
That's true i will give it a flush out.