Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RUF-60L, Jul 13, 2011.

1. kiwicon

kiwicon Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 Manual
    did you talk to the actual chemist (who does the prescriptions out the back) or just the employee behind the counter.. yes you would probably find they are two different people...

but yeah start with immortality's advice as it free (for now) if that doesnt work, add in a hot spa or bath ..

I use to do shift work.. 7am - 3pm week one .. 3pm to 11pm week two .. 11pm to 7am week three - took 2-3 days to get the sleeping pattern to kinda ok, add in the weekend, and screwed..

2. car_driver

car_driver New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    Ask for a product call "Restavit". It's one of those ones they keep behind the counter and ask a zillion intrusive questions like you are some sort of addict. I just tell them I'm traveling. Another over the counter remedy is an antihistamine called "Phenergan" that is well known for its sleepiness properties. You don't wake up feeling doped with either of these like you would with something like Temazepam which requires a script.

3. Eevo

Eevo Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS Ute
    chemist?

i went to the bottle shop, they recommended alcohol.
    should be taken with food
    it does have some side effects though

4. WazzaVN

WazzaVN Wazza VN

Members Ride:
    VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
    Very bad advice. Should always be taken un diluted on an empty stomach. :p

5. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Despite the fact that they like to plaster their drug stores with the word Chemist they are not Chemists at all. At best they are Pharmacists at worst Drug Store Owners. Generally all they do is lick labels and put them on bottles. Chemists tend to work in industry, universities or laboratories and practice chemistry not pharmacy.

6. acarmody

acarmody Donati..Whoa Green

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    So this is escalating quite quickly. I returned to the store with the unopened and still sealed bottle, and the receipt. They refuses to do a refund because their store policy is that there is "no refunds or exchange on orally consumed products", it is even on their receipts. I asked for an received the contact details of Head Office.

Got home and have called head office. I have talked to this lady about my concerns for a refund. I even stated that it is against the Australian Consumer Laws to refuse a refund, or to even print it on your dockets. I told this lady that the products says that it contains Melatonin, but it does not. Her response is that well you don't know that. Well I sorry, but if it did contain Melatonin, it would state the quantity on the side, and not say that the quantity is 6X. The then ensuing lecture on what homeopathy is was quite funny.
    Eventually she said she will look up the product and call me back. She did about 10 minutes later, and this started round 2. Basically because I haven't even tried the tablet, I can't say for certain that it doesn't work. I didn't know how to reply to that stupid statement. I mean I've consumed water before but I've still got sick, and frankly I have consumed water on the days that I couldn't sleep, so really I didn't think it makes a difference.
    She then said for a product from BIOGLAN to even make it to the shelfs, it has to have TGA approval and they wouldn't approve it unless it has a proven effectiveness.

Anyway TL;DR end result is that as a sign of goodwill, I can return to the pharmacy again, 25 minute drive each way AGAIN, and they will issue me with a refund.

Also while typing this I looked up the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG), and the only listed products under Melatonin are " CIRCADIN melatonin 2 mg prolonged release tablet blister pack" which are a prescription on tablet, because Melatonin is prescriptin only in Australia, and "Nature's Care Melatonin 3 mg", which is Export only.

7. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    The Head Office lady I talked to said that the lady who's name is printed on the docket is a registered pharmacist, and funnily enough, a health expert.

8. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    Mogadon. I took one on the plane when I came home from Baghdad, felt like I blinked and 8 hours passed. Took another one and nek minnit I wad 2 hours from Sydney.

9. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    I'm still tossing up whether after I get the refund, if I should report them to the ACCC for stating that they do not issue refund on (most of) thier goods. Its even printed on thier receipts.

Troy711, yeah but prescription only.

10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Yes, report. Probably not the ACCC though. More likely your state consumer affairs body.

And why not send something into the Chaser boys for the Chekout.....F.U. Tube - The Checkout - ABC TV

11. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    Actually thinking about reporting Bioglan to the TGA, since this product is not registered with the TGA (I checked the online register and its not listed), since it claims it has Melatonin in it which is a prescription only medicine, it will be breaking the law if it has it in it, but if it doesn't, its misleading conduct.

12. Rajesh Koothrappali

Rajesh Koothrappali Banned

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    It doesn't claim to have Melatonin in it. It claims to have Melatonin 6X in it. Which is a marketing term for "it's so diluted with water that there's no detectable Melatonin in it". Is it illegal? No.

6X is a dilution ratio of 10 to the power of -6. I.e. diluted to the point where the likelihood of a single Melatonin molecule being in the product is practically nil. The mathematical result of 10 to the power of -6 is 0.000001, which is rounded to 0.

They're marketing and selling a placebo.

Remember cordial concentrate? Mix 1 millilitre of concentrate with 1000 litres of water. Same same.

13. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    Yeah I saw that. And I rang the TGA to ask whether its worth filing a complaint. The lady informed me that they are allowed to sell a presciption on drug in Australia, due to the EXTREMELY low content of "Melatonin" in it. Though the tone in the ladies voice gave me an insight into what she thinks of homeopathic drugs.
    She did say I could put a complaint into the TGA on the basis of misleading advertising if I wish. Due to the fact that the drug does not have a "qualtity" of melatonin in it, and because it is called Melatonin, which implies that it has Melatonin in it.

When I return the pills, I going to ask the manager that if he believes that 0.001ml/L is a suitable volume to be present, if he will stop selling bottled water, since the natural level of mercury and cyanide in water is higher than this.

14. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I have just one question over this issue and I'm not trying to cause a stir.

Is it really worth all this fuss?

I can appreciate that the product has annoyed you with its claims and the failure of the chemist to refund would piss me off too, but I think I'd just take it up with the business principal and advise him of his legal obligations to refund, but no more than that.

Life's too complicated to get worked up over a packet of pills.

15. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    I took it as far as I did because they pissed me off multiple times. First by selling me $25 worth of sugar pills. Seconds by me driving an hour for them to refuse to refund it. Third by their head office by feeding me a bunch of bullshit. And then forth by me then spending another hour returning it again, and while they gave me my money back, they than fed me more bullshit.
    The bullshit was that when I returned it, I spoke to the manager who gave me my money. Keeping in mind I had never raised my voice or been rude/disrespectful throughout any of this. I simply informed the manager that he should advise head office that having the words saying no refunds or exchange on orally consumed products, is against the law, and that they should simply put an asterix next to it, and put conditions apply underneath, otherwise they could get in trouble by the ACCC. He then spat back a load of bullshit saying that what they have is perfectly legal, and that the ACCC has already investigated them and said it was fine.

It was enough to annoy me to spend a couple of hours getting my money back and writing a letter to the TGA about the product. It wasn't much time spent in total.

Anyway I'm over it now. I expect my letter will just go straight into the bin and nothing more will come out of it. And I've learned my lesson to always read the bottle myself and not to trust a pharmacist.

Especially since I went to a Terry White chemist in the same Shopping Centre and they also said that the Homeopathic medicine is good and highly recommended. So either they are all stupid, or paid a good commission to push sugar pills.

16. Eevo

Eevo Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS Ute
    before you get angry, sleep on it, you'll feel better

17. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    I didn't get angry, I don't do that. And I've done my piece and I haven't even thought about it since then.

I annoyed me because of the reasons posted in my previous response, and I did what I thought was right.

18. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Fair enough. I guess you won't be going back there in future?

19. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Did you, or anyone else watch "The Checkout" on ABC last night (4 Aug ). It was about chemists, pharmacists, homeopathic remedies, and your 'experiences' came to mind..

20. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Good health start by watching what you eat. Store shelves are full of products filled with good tasting items without nutritional value.

Learned a bit of info with a Jewish coworker. Their foods has to be beside blessed by a Rabbi (for passover) follow extrict quality guidances; no high fructose corn syrup, salt without additives, milk without growing hormones etc... For example, cookies, instead of using High Fructose Corn Syrup (is not sugar but taste sweet, also Ethelene Glycol) is used Cane or Beet Sugar. Those producs has a Circled U (Orthodox Church approval), a letter K or P. I do not know if Oz has the same markings on their products and if it does, is somewhere on the label, very small but not small to be invisible. The markings are for what they call Kosher foods. I am not Jewish but their food is made well. Beside, the difference between a Jew and a Christian is the Jews only believe half of the bible, so Christians are half Jewish ;-)

I wonder if you guys have an US product called Fig Newtons, they are soft bars made with a fig filling. Look around the packaging and see if you can spot the Circled U and read the ingredients. Is made of basic ingredients that you can find in your kitchen.