Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RUF-60L, Jul 13, 2011.

1. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I agree that jobs as we knew them years ago are gone. The collapse of the Australian manufacturing industry has a lot to do with it. But there are jobs are out there. Personal ability, awareness, and knowing people helps ……. I think the modern term is ‘networking’ ?

University is the new dole. Ask a year 12 student what they are going to do after school ….. “Go to uni” ….. to do what ? “Depends on my TER score”

I have a mate that I worked casual for after I retired. He pays above award rates, has a clean, air-conned workshop that has parking, and is accessible by public transport. The work is not hard, but requires attention to detail and being right first up. He has trouble with young staff wanting to look at their phones all day, talk TV related crap, and are selective about what jobs they perform. In short, they just don’t want to put in. He has never fired a worker, they just quit when they get ‘bored’ and need/want a holiday. When they turn up a couple of months later looking for work again … too late.

My son is a qualified sparky. He quit the electrical engineering certificate, and the trade 20 years ago, because he didn’t like being told to do dirty, hands-on jobs. He has farnarkled about in dead end jobs, and maybe now he is realising that he is too old to get back into the trade, has accumulated nothing during his life, and is running out of time to achieve what he should have done back when.

2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Agree, capitalism is not the problem....it is the greedy capitalist pigs that are the problem.

Like with anything (religion, politics or economics), it is the extreme end of the spectrum, that cause the problems.

3. Baldoldfart

Baldoldfart New Member

Members Ride:
    VY
    All you have to say is Trump

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I quit my apprenticeship as a baker nearly 30 years ago, due to terrible managers. I completed all my trade school. Even though it worked out ok as i got to work in lots of different bakeries just unqualified and learn lots of things, it has made it hard now to pick up a few casual hours to top my pay up from a completely different profession Everyone these days wants the signed indentures. Even though im as good as or better than a lot of the young blokes completing their trades now, its still hard to pick up a day or two a week as they have NFI if i can do the job.

5. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    ^^^^^ Know the situation well. I left the RAAF with a heap of experience and certificates that meant nothing to civilian employers at the time.

6. Baldoldfart

Baldoldfart New Member

Members Ride:
    VY
    I left school at 16 on Friday and started a panel beating apprenticeship on Monday. Left that trade after 6 years to I pursue my dreams, then in 1978 they were on barely minimum wage. If wages would have kept up with inflation they should now be on decent money, their not. Insurance companies have things screwed to the bone and wages have suffered badly.
    Now I'm trending towards the end of my second chosen career I am finding my passion for old cars and panel beating again. Instead of working for insurance companies for a pittance I can now demand a good hourly rate doing enthusiast's cars who will pay for good work, unlike insurance companies.

7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Something else i have noticed Fig is that so many young blokes that are trade qualified are no where near as good as the tradesmen of our days. I look at the **** bakeries are churning out nowadays and I'm appauled. I can't believe people even by the rubbish the bakeries are selling. Its like the bakers have NFI. Because i know what mistakes cause what, i know that some blokes cant follow a recipie. I can also tell when they have tried to cur corners as the product lime bread just doesnt have the right size air bubbles in the slices. It seems to be like that in the building trades as well. When building my house i worked alongside a top builder and the work was brill. Yet i employed a fairly newly qualified builder and the mistakes he made was bad enough that I decided to not get him back.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    figjam likes this.
  8. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    One of our big problems is the spread of jobs across the rural sector. We are told that there are jobs in rural areas which can't be filled for various reasons. Distance is a huge problem. Country life isn't for everyone, in theory, work opportunities and variety are greater in the cities, the climate is more favourable and entertainment venues are everywhere. So it's not a simple matter to just pack your bongo's and go bush for work, but in certain areas, work is definitely available.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    the_boozer likes this.
  9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6

In Tas it is quite the opposite. In rural areas very limited job opportunities and for what opportunities exist, unless your a nephew of uncle Bob who runs the business or farm you have buckley's of even getting a foot in the door. When I was living in rural Tas full-time I was racking up a $200-$250 a week petrol bill, so I could get to work in the city.

the_boozer likes this.
  10. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    Or to add onto your point Cal, you get the people who look at some of the remote jobs and can see that there is big potential for monetary reward from it, but do not realise how much they will miss out on or the complete change in social life they may have had. I was in a FIFO role (and got offered many times to go back to it), but when you are away for 3 or 4 weeks, the things you miss absolutely suck.
    But I fully understand you were more leaning to the full time live in roles. For the right people, it can certainly work, just need to be in the right spot in your life to be able to make the change and then stick with it.

I wont lie, I've been through loads of jobs for my age, all of them in the same overall industry (Electrical Based), generally leaving due to poor management or realising its not what I expected it to be (or being slightly lied to about what is actually involved in the role).
    Too many nowadays aren't willing to get their hands dirty, or if they are, they don't wish to eventually work their way up to the higher renumerated roles.

Calaber likes this.
  11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
  12. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Another kick in the guts for the white aussie man.
    We are really on the bottom of the list

the_boozer, VS 5.0 and losh1971 like this.
  13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Far out WTF 5.0, I am sure we are fast becoming the most politically correct nation in the world. Not supposed to call lesbians and homosexuals by their proper name anymore or fear reprisal. Now it's Same Sex Attracted. The way society is going we will have and it is on it way pedis will no longer be called pedis they will be call Child Attracted Persons...

14. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Indeed.

I did check the date of the article in case it was published back in April.

Sadly, it was published today.

15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    You know I hate to say it and I hope it is not in my lifetime but I dare say that one day we will have babies boys born one day only to have their meat and two veg removed a few days later, because the parents won't want them to identify as male..... I honestly believe the removal of gender on birth certs is the catalyst of something that most of would have not even thought possible 10 years ago and the downward spiral is just going to become more and more perverse...

16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    But nothing will change they said.

VS_Pete likes this.
  17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    yeah. Makes me wild thinking about it.

VS_Pete likes this.
  18. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    God something came into my mind (god help me lol)
    The old days you are down the footy park.
    20 of us.
    So 10 a side
    We got the 2 captains time to pick the team.
    Both captains pick 5 each gay guys as you have to do.
    The other 6 immigrants 3 a side.
    That leaves 2 me and mick both aussies.
    Told to **** off not welcomed here.

Zehq likes this.
  19. Zehq

Zehq Active Member

Members Ride:
    2009 VE SV6
    When I first moved to where I am now, I tried to join the local soccer team. Was told to **** off as I'm not Italian. That was an interesting experience.

VS_Pete likes this.
  20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So it doesn't really piss me off but I can not believe it....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: There are now six Sharknado movies. As if it wasn't bad enough that they call one The Fourth Awakens and another Global Swarming.... They claim this is the last and it is called It's About Time..... Crikies the Global Swarming one was only brought out last year....