Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I'm pissed off right now because I went to the chemist to see if I could get something to help with sleep, I've been waking up a lot in the last few nights, no reasons. So one of the girls working behind the desk recommended this Melatonin tablets. Well on further research this Bioglan Melatonin tablets are a Homeopathic Medicine. Its dosage per tablet is 6X. I had to Google what the #### that even is. It means that the tablets have a dilation ratio of 1:1,000,000. So for every 1mL of melatonin, it is mixed with 1,000L of water. So basically I paid $25 for water tablets.

Why the #### would a CHEMIST sell me such ****??? These people work with MEDICINE not hopes and dreams. If I wanted a useless solution, I could have prayed for free.

Definitely taking this back tomorrow. And someone is going to cop it because I haven't had decent sleep in 4 days. Then I'm going to see a doctor for a prescription for something that might actually work.

Ask for a product call "Restavit". It's one of those ones they keep behind the counter and ask a zillion intrusive questions like you are some sort of addict. I just tell them I'm traveling. Another over the counter remedy is an antihistamine called "Phenergan" that is well known for its sleepiness properties. You don't wake up feeling doped with either of these like you would with something like Temazepam which requires a script.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
chemist?

i went to the bottle shop, they recommended alcohol.
should be taken with food
it does have some side effects though

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
chemist?

i went to the bottle shop, they recommended alcohol.
should be taken with food
it does have some side effects though

Very bad advice. Should always be taken un diluted on an empty stomach. :p

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Despite the fact that they like to plaster their drug stores with the word Chemist they are not Chemists at all. At best they are Pharmacists at worst Drug Store Owners. Generally all they do is lick labels and put them on bottles. Chemists tend to work in industry, universities or laboratories and practice chemistry not pharmacy.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So this is escalating quite quickly. I returned to the store with the unopened and still sealed bottle, and the receipt. They refuses to do a refund because their store policy is that there is "no refunds or exchange on orally consumed products", it is even on their receipts. I asked for an received the contact details of Head Office.

Got home and have called head office. I have talked to this lady about my concerns for a refund. I even stated that it is against the Australian Consumer Laws to refuse a refund, or to even print it on your dockets. I told this lady that the products says that it contains Melatonin, but it does not. Her response is that well you don't know that. Well I sorry, but if it did contain Melatonin, it would state the quantity on the side, and not say that the quantity is 6X. The then ensuing lecture on what homeopathy is was quite funny.
Eventually she said she will look up the product and call me back. She did about 10 minutes later, and this started round 2. Basically because I haven't even tried the tablet, I can't say for certain that it doesn't work. I didn't know how to reply to that stupid statement. I mean I've consumed water before but I've still got sick, and frankly I have consumed water on the days that I couldn't sleep, so really I didn't think it makes a difference.
She then said for a product from BIOGLAN to even make it to the shelfs, it has to have TGA approval and they wouldn't approve it unless it has a proven effectiveness.

Anyway TL;DR end result is that as a sign of goodwill, I can return to the pharmacy again, 25 minute drive each way AGAIN, and they will issue me with a refund.

Also while typing this I looked up the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG), and the only listed products under Melatonin are " CIRCADIN melatonin 2 mg prolonged release tablet blister pack" which are a prescription on tablet, because Melatonin is prescriptin only in Australia, and "Nature's Care Melatonin 3 mg", which is Export only.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
did you talk to the actual chemist (who does the prescriptions out the back) or just the employee behind the counter.. yes you would probably find they are two different people...

but yeah start with immortality's advice as it free (for now) if that doesnt work, add in a hot spa or bath ..

I use to do shift work.. 7am - 3pm week one .. 3pm to 11pm week two .. 11pm to 7am week three - took 2-3 days to get the sleeping pattern to kinda ok, add in the weekend, and screwed..

The Head Office lady I talked to said that the lady who's name is printed on the docket is a registered pharmacist, and funnily enough, a health expert.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm still tossing up whether after I get the refund, if I should report them to the ACCC for stating that they do not issue refund on (most of) thier goods. Its even printed on thier receipts.

Troy711, yeah but prescription only.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yes, report. Probably not the ACCC though. More likely your state consumer affairs body.

And why not send something into the Chaser boys for the Chekout.....F.U. Tube - The Checkout - ABC TV

Actually thinking about reporting Bioglan to the TGA, since this product is not registered with the TGA (I checked the online register and its not listed), since it claims it has Melatonin in it which is a prescription only medicine, it will be breaking the law if it has it in it, but if it doesn't, its misleading conduct.