Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Think Colorado Truck"

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Anyone seen the new ad for the Holden Colorado? At the end it has in big print, "THINK COLORADO TRUCK". WTF? This is Australia mate....its called a UTE!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Colorado is American not Australian so why does it surprise you?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
oxford dictionary said:
Definition of utility
noun (plural utilities)

1 [mass noun] the state of being useful, profitable, or beneficial: he had a poor opinion of the utility of book learning
(in game theory or economics) a measure of that which is sought to be maximized in any situation involving a choice.

2a public utility.

3 Computing a utility program: a handy utility for converting one graphics file type to another

4Australian/NZ a utility vehicle.

adjective
[attributive]

1useful, especially through being able to perform several functions: a utility truck
Oxford Dictionary says different.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know its American, but at the same time - you think they'd change the marketing to suit the local market more.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Although when you think about it they are the size of a big yank tank so truck pretty much sums up the size of the bloody things.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
when i first came to australia i was wondering where all the full size trucks were. the hilix is like the tacoma, which in the states is considered a "mini truck". that and seeing tow bars on tiny little sedans and hatch backs spun me out....

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I know its American, but at the same time - you think they'd change the marketing to suit the local market more.

If you look at the declining sales of Holden, i don't think local branding is an advantage anymore. Look at what GM is doing with Opal. There were heaps of Opals being tested last time I was at Holden so I've got no doubt they're being launched in Australia in some sort of partnership with Holden. Retaining the euro branding rather than "Aussie" them up like they've done in the past to appeal to Euro badge snobs. Similarly with the Colorado, maybe they figure an American truck will sell better than and Aussie ute.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
To be completely honest, I actually haven't seen that many Opels. I saw the Opel stands at the motor show last year, and at Top Gear Festival a couple of months ago, however the only Opel I've actually seen "in the wild" so to speak, is one of our company cars at work.