Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Think I'm getting ripped off...

Pottzy420

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 2003
Hi there can anyone help me! I have a vy Commy and the harmonic balancer has **** its self and there telling me its gonna cost me like $600 or more what is the right price for part and labour can anyone help me?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Depends on what the parts are costing. Probably paying Repco prices which are double eBay costs. You should change the CAS and the seal at the same time. The job itself is probably 1hr.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
yea well get a second opinion, ask kmart auto even

the part is expensive, the labour would be 1 to 2 hours, especially if their apprentice is doing it, plus most mechanics like to buy the part at cost warehouse price then add their own fee on it so they can make a profit on the part too

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds a little excessive, get a few quotes from different shops.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They can quote you whatever they want doesn't mean you have to get them to fix it.

Get other quotes or what quote is for labour with you supplying correct part...ask if still get warranty.

That quote just for balancer or worst case scenario crank seal & cas?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Are they just doing the balancer? Or are they also replacing the belt? Are they replacing the CAS while they're in there?

Really need more information. And an itemized quote like they would have supplied to you will help us to tell you if the price is greater than it should be.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Try autobarn at Elizabeth, they priced matched the ebay balancer price when I did mine...Then give Elizabeth South Auto Centre a ring and get a quote from them they do a fair job for a fair price...