Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

think im stuffing up brake bleeding

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
hey folks,

dunno if its the upgrade or me -(prob me)

upgraded the brakes on my vp v8 to the ve brake upgrade 322 mm rotors.

all went well they look great however........

i bled the brakes - had the girly push on the brake pedal a few times whilst having the bleed nipple open so brake fluid squirted out then on the last push as she pushed in tightened up the bleed nipple

i then did the other side same same -- is this correct?????

problem i have is when the car is on (motor running) the pedal is soft and goes straight to the floor i know there supposed to be a lil soft but didnt think they go straight to the floor

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
What you want to do is get her to pump it 3-4 times then hold it down, at which point you tell her to 'hold' until you say it's ok, you loosen the nipple and let it dribble, then once flow stops (your girly's foot will fall to the floor, re-assure her to hold it down) close the nipple off again (once it's closed tight she can lift and prepare for another pump-up). Repeat this process a few times until both A) bubbles stop appearing in the fluid coming out of the nipple, and B) pedal feels nice and solid.

The key thing to remember, is NO lifting the brake pedal whilst the nipple is open. Also make sure there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir at all times.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh im just lookin up that at the moment - it all looks pretty standard cept for the bracket to make up - wonder if anyone on here is good at making them - doesnt look hard i just donthave the equipment to do it

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
yeh im just lookin up that at the moment - it all looks pretty standard cept for the bracket to make up - wonder if anyone on here is good at making them - doesnt look hard i just donthave the equipment to do it

grab a vs brake booster, a vt master cylinder. it all bolts up with no brackets to make. if you really want a vt booster you will need the bracket made up. you are also going to need adapters for your brake lines to suit the vt master

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
ah ok so vs booster and vt master - cool so just gotta suss out adapters - hmmm ill look them up - just got my mrs to do what you guys said - the brake pedal still goes straight to the floor - grrrrrrrrrrrrr im sure its gotta be something im doing wrong - im mean id expect not perfect but id expect they sorta work right from the box lol

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If you were repeating what you described to us earlier more than a few times, you'll have a lot of air to push out... You're only doing one calliper at a time right, and all callipers other than the one you're currently bleeding have their nipples closed?

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh only one at a time - but im only doin the fronts - do i need to do the rears as i havent touched them in any way and the reservior was never emptied

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
also for stocky what difference is there with vs booster and vt booster - i think i read somewhere the vs one is plastic - but other than that whats the difference between my vp one an a vs / vt one or why not use a vs booster and master ---- last question are they v6 - v8 same same or different

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If your reservoir hasn't emptied you'll be fine, I'm not sure how much fluid it takes to make the ve callipers work, so I'll hand this one over to stocky/others now that I've had my input. Good luck! :D