Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

think ive blown a head gasket

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey guys, engine went bang about a week ago, turned out to be a rocker was very loose, think i blew the head gasket, somethings cooking the coolant, compression is fine, tested it after i bolted the rocker back in

not blowing smoke, just cooking radiator coolant, and theres a bit of oil in the overflow tank....the overflow tank is pressurised after more than 20 mins of driving, starts to overhead after 45 mins... watchya think???

need to check thermo fan...

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
I'd say you have a partially blocked radiator or jammed thermostat myself. Head gasket issues are usually pretty apparent straight away.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I would check your thermostat first. If you have blown a head gasket you would have low compression on the cylinders that it has blown on.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
radiator seems to flow alright
gave it a hose out when i changed last coolant, water was able to leave as fast as i could put it in

somethings cooking the coolant, like no joke its bubbling when its not even 1/3 its getting DIRECT heat somewhere then pressuring and turning to steam, just gotta keep a close eye, dont wanna warp my heads

loosing coolant somewhere aswell like 1-2L per week, have to keep her topped up... but i cant find where im loosing the water, no drips of oil/water so im confused...

did a compression test didnt retest the cyclinder that i fixed after, probbly should have, all i know is it was working after i bolted the rocker back into place, engine could probbly do with some new plugs aswell,

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
how long since the thermostat was changed? If its not opening it will cause it to get hot because the coolant wont be circulating correctly and also cause back pressure in the radiater due to the hot water coming out the wrong way.
The water will probably be going out the overflow and onto the ground. When it starts getting hot pull up and check if you can see any water under the car. Last time i did a thermostat, thats how i found out. I went to the shop came out and saw coolant in the gutter.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
if there is oil in the water fair chance you have done a head gasket. ya don't have to have low compression to have done a head gasket. if the gasket is gone between and oil hole and a water hole that could be where ya water is going.. BUT then again. maybe it is your thermostat. i would think there would be a fair bit of water in your oil if you have done a head gasket..
one thing with series 1 vn's. when ya fill the bottle let it sit for a while. sometimes it take a while for all the air to get out. i fell inot that trap once.. couldn't work out why the car kept overheating and that was the reason..

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
yeah check the thermostat and did you bleed the air out properly, as for the oil it may even be oil from the transmission is it auto as the trans oil cools through your radiator if thats the case just get a trans cooler mount it on the front and get heater hose and loop where the old cooler was in the radiator

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
If you've got boiling water...and oil in the coolant then then I'd stop driving it untill it's all fixed...Boiling water can make the plastic tanks on the radiator fatigue and split...especially if its loosing water and creating steam in there... (I pressume your car has plastic radiator ends)... rip the heads off and get them tested forcracks and warping for starters...then replace gaskets as necessary...keep driving it and you'll surely do more damage to the engine.