Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking about getting my first Commodore VL

Thorpsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
UK - Renaut Megan CC (2007)
Alright peeps,

Just been reading all about the Commodore VL on the internet and can't find anywhere what MPG i should expect.

Firstly, I should explain that one is a pom and the thought of running a 3.0l v6 is slightly terrifying. Especially, when my car back home is a Renault Megane CC 1.5 diesel.

My Australian friends have one that has been in the family from brand new and has been cherished. Although, they want next to nothing for it, I'm scared to death that it's going to do less miles to the gallon than a London bus!

I really would like to own and drive a slice of Australia whilst I'm here, no better way of seeing this wonderful country than in a home made Commodore! :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
well first of all its a straight 6 not a v6 and second of all we dont use miles to the galon we use km to litre you can expect to get from anywhere between 200-450 ks out of a full tank which is 63 litres. depending on how the car is running, obviously it would have to be running way rich and have some other problems to only be getting 200ish ks per tank but ive heard of it happening ive recently sold mine and i use to get around 350 ks per tank and that was with exhaust and extractors, and 5 speed, apart from that pretty much stock, hope this helps abit, at thye end of the day mate its not gonna be anywhere near as good as your renault but its not to bad for a 6 cylinder

Thorpsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
well first of all its a straight 6 not a v6 and second of all we dont use miles to the galon we use km to litre you can expect to get from anywhere between 200-450 ks out of a full tank which is 63 litres. depending on how the car is running, obviously it would have to be running way rich and have some other problems to only be getting 200ish ks per tank but ive heard of it happening ive recently sold mine and i use to get around 350 ks per tank and that was with exhaust and extractors, and 5 speed, apart from that pretty much stock, hope this helps abit, at thye end of the day mate its not gonna be anywhere near as good as your renault but its not to bad for a 6 cylinder

Hi Sean,

Thank you for the reply and the information.

I understand that the Commodore is going to do less that half of what the Renault, but with the cost of fuel here I'm not to worried about it. Long as it's reliable and reasonable fuel efficiency I will be happy.

To be honest I've always wanted to have a big engine car, the cost of fuel in the UK means that the biggest engine you find is a 2 litre (4 cylinder), and that's considered to be 'anti=social'.

I will be honest I know nothing of 'V-6' or 'Straight 6', but thank you for pointing that out, I will look it up on the internet this evening.

Once again, thanks for your help Sean it's much appreciated.

:)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Scrap that, get a VXR;)

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
I believe mine does 12 - 13 litres per 100kms

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
Hi Sean,

Thank you for the reply and the information.

I understand that the Commodore is going to do less that half of what the Renault, but with the cost of fuel here I'm not to worried about it. Long as it's reliable and reasonable fuel efficiency I will be happy.

To be honest I've always wanted to have a big engine car, the cost of fuel in the UK means that the biggest engine you find is a 2 litre (4 cylinder), and that's considered to be 'anti=social'.

I will be honest I know nothing of 'V-6' or 'Straight 6', but thank you for pointing that out, I will look it up on the internet this evening.

Once again, thanks for your help Sean it's much appreciated.

:)

Hey mate welcome to Aus. Here most of our cars are 3+ litre 6's. Most Ford Falcons here run 4 litres and i drive a 5 litre V8 :D get used to it man its here to stay in Australia!

The VL commodore is a good little bus, the straight 6 is quite good on fuel when new sadly though most have been flogged to death by hoons since they are cheap to get. I would reccomend atleast a VN commodore mate, its got a V6 in it (basically when u look at a V6 u will see 3 pistons each side making a Vee shape. A straight 6 is all the pistons are in a row in a longer shape). Ive had 2 VL's and one VN and my bro has a VN. I reckon the VN wins outright i must say.

The VN is great on fuel, newer than the VL, bigger than the VL, much more power available with many parts easy to get hold of (since they used the V6 for years and years with interchangeable parts). I havent seen many rusted out VN's either and ive seen quite a few VL's like swiss cheese. Also a VN is quite cheap to pick up and u can find many on LPG to save on fuel if u dont mind losing an edge on performance.

See wat u can find mate and let us know with some pics,

Best of luck mate!

Paiste402

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
get a 2 litre, 4 cylinder, early 1990's Camry.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I'm getting 450km's out a 75ltr tank.
This is from a 5.7ltr v8. It does do better than that, when I'm not silly.

Try and find a VL-t if you want some real go out of the old girl.

The RB30 is the a similar motor to whats in the Skylines. If that makes it anymore familair to you.

Thorpsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate welcome to Aus. Here most of our cars are 3+ litre 6's. Most Ford Falcons here run 4 litres and i drive a 5 litre V8 :D get used to it man its here to stay in Australia!

The VL commodore is a good little bus, the straight 6 is quite good on fuel when new sadly though most have been flogged to death by hoons since they are cheap to get. I would reccomend atleast a VN commodore mate, its got a V6 in it (basically when u look at a V6 u will see 3 pistons each side making a Vee shape. A straight 6 is all the pistons are in a row in a longer shape). Ive had 2 VL's and one VN and my bro has a VN. I reckon the VN wins outright i must say.

Paiste402

Hi there fella,

Well the thing that got me thinking about this particular car is I know it's complete history from new. One of my friends here in Australia, well it used to belong to his Grandad before he took ownership. I dare say it's been very well looked after and cherished.

I'm told that 200km on a car of this kind really isn't much at all, so not so much concerned about that. However, the air conditioning pump flywheel has seized and that really is the thing that's putting me off.... being a pom anything over 25c is a killer and the thought of driving a giant glasshouse around in the Australian summer sun isn't appealing at all.

Has anyone else had problems with the air condition? I'm guessing that i'm looking at a massive and very costly job.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Not really.
$25 for another pump from a wreakers.
$200 to regas it, which would probably need doing in any VL.

You're going to die this summer. 40c+ anyone?

If budget isn't an issue, Maybe look for something newer. It'll have less issues. That said the VL's are pretty reliable.