Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thinking about putting a second battery in the car

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
as the title says im thinking about putting a second battery in the car but dont want to worry about get a dual battery kit so i thought of some other way to do it i have done a quick photo in paint

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54526733@N06/5366742392/sizes/l/in/photostream/

with the 12V switch will be like the dual battery kit turn the switch off just to charge the front end battery and turn the switch on to charge both at the same time i have an 100AMP alternator so it should cope with it what do you think?

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
a 200 amp switch is going to be expensive.

Why do you need 2 batteries?

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
well when i do put the fridge in it will most likely stay on when the car is off because i like going riding down on the old rail trail in Gippsland and while im out riding i will leave the fridge on so when i come back the drinks will be cold with is good in summer lol

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
that's a lot of work just to run a little fridge... thought of using ice in an esky?

seriously thought, the uhf is even with amp is not going to warrant a second battery. TRUST ME!

but if you are serious, use a small deep cycle battery in the boot in an approved sealed & secured box. Use this to run your fridge and remove it from the car when not in use.
Then you can properly maintain a trickle charge on your AUX battery, and you won't shock your car's system when it starts and has to charge two batteries. Believe me, that's a massive spike!

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
You could wire a relay between the two batteries and switch it off the accessories circiut. This will connect them when the engine is running and isolate them when the engineis cranking or the key is removed.
Problem would be if one battery is low on charge, the charged battery may be overcharged.

You could investigate using a 12vDC to 12vDC float charger to prevent overcharging.

I would by a SLA battery and charge it at home rather than spending the money wiring it into the car.

chooky1980

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
vh sl/e,vk berlina
run battery cable from the front battery to the rear battery(maintenance free) and earth the rear battery to the body.house the rear battery in a battery box.
i have done this twice for a mate with 4 amplifiers running 5 subs,6x9s,7x10s,6 and a half inch speakers.
big sound system and one battery could just not handle it.the rear battery charges fine being hooked up this way.
you can put a kill switch in the engine bay just after the first battery so you can cut off the rear battery when needed.

ihateford

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
run battery cable from the front battery to the rear battery(maintenance free) and earth the rear battery to the body.house the rear battery in a battery box.
i have done this twice for a mate with 4 amplifiers running 5 subs,6x9s,7x10s,6 and a half inch speakers.
big sound system and one battery could just not handle it.the rear battery charges fine being hooked up this way.
you can put a kill switch in the engine bay just after the first battery so you can cut off the rear battery when needed.

yer thats prob the best idea

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride

Thats what i was planing on doing but connect it to the startor motor and alternator and putt a switch in the dash so i can cut it off when ever