Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thinking of a XR6

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Tooheys Extra Dry. TEDs is what we call them, crownies will do though.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I like beer... only got blondes though... low carb... watching my weight... :(

In regards to OP question. On paper (other than being a Ford) the XR6 is a better performance car and if you can stomach the AU "stylings" then go for it.

Reliability with the AU's was questionable from what a bloke I worked with would tell me, he was a massive Ford nut, but at the end of the day it's probably best to jump on a Ford forum and get the facts you're after there.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with it then go for it so long as there aren't any major issues with them. Having said that, the VT Ecotecs were not all that fantasic so yeah.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
you might be a fan of the AU, but 99% of the population think they are the arse end of a half chicken foot smoothie, half regurgitated bark abomination. Save up abit more and get the Ba, much much much nicer in every possible way.

Hektic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV Ignition Orange
you might be a fan of the AU, but 99% of the population think they are the arse end of a half chicken foot smoothie, half regurgitated bark abomination. Save up abit more and get the Ba, much much much nicer in every possible way.

+1 agree with that

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II

another +1 to that! my mate just picked up a BA fairmont for 7 grand in pretty descent condition

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon

LOL. +1 for the BA if you must a get a ford the BA would be a good choice.

EDIT: 99.99% would be more like it :p

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
AUs were to bad, if you are going to buy one buy a series 2 or 3, dont get the IRS model(hand brakes dont work).

all servicingwill be similar to a commodore, but they much autos ive found(especially driven hard).

LKC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Aclaim
Thanks for the info. I honestly do like the style of the AU. compared to the VZ/VY i love the AU.

The one I am looking at is the VCT - so more powerful engine, LSD, power windows all round and has the IRS (is the hand brake problem very common?)

Also being a 99 I think im looking at series one. for 5 grand the thing seems pretty decent.

once i get it the only thing im really wanting to do is give it a brake upgrade and maybe lower it and a shift kit (dont know if shift kit is P Plate legal).

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Thanks for the info. I honestly do like the style of the AU. compared to the VZ/VY i love the AU.

The one I am looking at is the VCT - so more powerful engine, LSD, power windows all round and has the IRS (is the hand brake problem very common?)

Also being a 99 I think im looking at series one. for 5 grand the thing seems pretty decent.

once i get it the only thing im really wanting to do is give it a brake upgrade and maybe lower it and a shift kit (dont know if shift kit is P Plate legal).

it only happens to the ones that have IRS. the series 3 onwards has the same brakes as a BA the series one has the old style brakes.