Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying a bike

ecotec_kid

Hitchhiker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Ok so im 19, have my RE Licence (QLD) and im thinking of buying my first (road) bike.
Ive ridden dirt/trail bikes and quads all my life, growing up in the country helps ;)

Now that i have the licence, ive been looking for a good, reliable, gutsy 250cc road bike.
Im not a huge fan of cruisers, but if the right one came up i would consider it, i have however been looking at two different sports bikes at team moto in springwood.

The first is a 1998 CBR250RR, 6 speed with just over 8000 on the clock, and the other is a Aprilia RS250 which i dont know too much about, though ive heard they are a pretty mean little weapon.

Im just wondering if anyone has any experience with either bike or if there is another bike that might suit a p plate rider. I dont want to spend my money on something too small for me or anything under 250cc. Im not allowed to ride anything over that, so dont even suggest it.

Oh and if it helps im about 6 foot 2 and weigh about 75kgs. :)

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Aprilia is the better bike by far... BUT... this is your first bike... you're gonna drop it...

So get the CBR because they are like the commodores of the bike world... part for them all over the shop.

With aprilia you're parts and servicing would be a touch pricey...

Have you considered naked bikes? personally I think they are a better beginner bike as they have no faring to crack and damage...

I was going to get a VTR250 a few years back...

Good luck with finding a bike.

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
a friend of mine had a CBR250 for a few years, about the same vintage too. only sold it to upgrade. loved it though, just asked for more everytime he gave it some curry....
definately worth the buy, and Jester is right, Aprillia are a good bike, but they are too hard to get parts for/repair quickly in most areas.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
i would go the cbr. went i wanted a 250 i got a zzr. i had it for 3 years, in that time i only serviced it. my partner dropped it a couple of times and cracked the fairings but i put up with that.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Yes. A 1998 CBR RR with 8000km is most likely a 1988 CBR RR with 80,000km with an unknown engine and shagged out bits.

3rd party will be expensive, one drop will ruin the look of the bike and you're going to need to rev its tits off to get anywhere (revs to 20,000rpm).

What do you want the bike for? Dragging SS's at lights, taking twisties, wearing full leather race outfits to your local cafe? CBR's a boy racer bike.

If you want a nice solid bike with good resale get an SV650, VTR250 or even a CB250. Not sure how QLD work, but if you can get a LAMS bike, consider the SV.

That said, the saving grace of the CBR is that it teaches you sportsbike, ie. how to handle stupid amount of revs, proper gear shifting etc.

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
i used CBR250RR engines in a couple race bikes. they are a very loud and high reving engine. the last one i had was a 94 model and that redlined at 19500rpm. and the newer ones are reving +20,000rpm. my mate has a 2007 model and that thing goes pretty hard. aprillia are definitely a good bike as stated about but parts and things are pricey and there is alot more hondas that u can rip apart at wrecking place. the kawazaki ninja is also a good buy. they're not as insane as a cbr but have just as much power without the noise. i would look at big brand models like suzuki gsxr or kawasaki ninja or honda cbr. but if ya cant find anything u like thats in ur price range, check out some cheaper chinese models like the hyasung 250. a few mates have had then and they are fine for a first road bike. not as flashy and maybe a tiny bit less than the CBR and such but still a descent bike.

hope that gives you a few ideas mate :)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
The other thing is that the CBR is a tiny bike. I had an FZR, it's much bigger and better equipped for taller people.

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
just a side note... i know your not allowed to ride anything above 250 but if ur sneaky you can get away with it. my mate had a hyasung 250 couple yrs back but he was bored of it and apparently couldn't wait the 6months he had left of his 250 limit. so he bought a 650 hyasung and pulled the stickers off and got 250 stickers made up. now people like you and i can quite easily distinguish a bigger sports bike from a 250 (real wheel size, general frame size etc) but not many police would b able to tell unless checking the plate. my mate went thru the rest of his 6 months with no hassels. he got pulled over a few time but as soon as they see the 250 stickers they dont bother checking the plate. im not telling you to go out and do this but merely saying that it can be done quite easily.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
On a side side note... don't bikes have a power to weight restriction going on these days too?

I recall someone mention that they sold a bike to a kid on ebay and the kid only researched the bike afterwards to discover it wasn't P legal... even though it was a 250cc...

Something to double check...

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
hmm havent heard that here in WA but it does make sense... could turbo a cbr250 and it would be just as dangerous as havin a big bike