Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying a bike

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
On a side side note... don't bikes have a power to weight restriction going on these days too?

I recall someone mention that they sold a bike to a kid on ebay and the kid only researched the bike afterwards to discover it wasn't P legal... even though it was a 250cc...

Something to double check...

Yep. LAMS.

Most of the ole 2 smokes aren't allowed, which is a good thing. A lot of people come unstuck when they've got no idea what to do with the powerband, especially with right turns.

The good thing is that you're allowed to ride higher cubed bikes. Ie. the SV650, CB400.

Which I forgot about. I rode the CB400 around Thailand last year and it's a bloody solid bike. Learner legal too.

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Aprilia RS250 is 2 stroke also & such would probably need a little more maintainance compared to CBR.

My Brother had a 95 CBR250RR for his first bike aged 18 only sold it last Summer,Easy as for him to ride never dropped it or come off.

Not easy for me to ride,Felt like getting on a BMX after a 10yr gap lol,prefer cruisers.

Only thing we needed to replace was the battery which was bugger all.

The real pain in the ass is doing a plug change theyre right behing the radiator stuff all room,better off getting a shop to do it lol.

Other than that go for it,They do love to rev though.

Last edited:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i own a rgv250, which is the same as an aprilla rs250 just better quality, they both have the same motor, and i can tell you, it leaves the cbr for dead, the only reason i would by a cbr250 would be for the sound, besides that they are too slow, even by 250 standards.

but yeah as said before there not learner legal

oh and the crap about dropping your first bike it bullshit... all my mates ride and i dont know anyone that has dropped there bike,

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
i own a rgv250, which is the same as an aprilla rs250 just better quality, they both have the same motor, and i can tell you, it leaves the cbr for dead, the only reason i would by a cbr250 would be for the sound, besides that they are too slow, even by 250 standards.

but yeah as said before there not learner legal

oh and the crap about dropping your first bike it bullshit... all my mates ride and i dont know anyone that has dropped there bike,

its all depends on how much experience you have on bikes. there is always a chance of making a simple little mistake that will see you hit the tarmac.

alot of my mates are into a road bike phase and the majority of them didnt grow up around bikes so its all brand new to them. they have dropped it a couple times from just doin stupid things like not paying attention and running up the arse of their mate or lane changing without looking properly.

and even still, the most experienced riders can have stacks depending on how they ride. my family is a prime example, we all race and can ride quite well but if ur bein a d***head then ur gonna drop it. my little brother has stacked his company scooter countless times coz he upgraded the engine and thinks its a racebike so he hits roundabouts doin 80clicks. and just the other day my old man binned his 2008 harley down the end of our rd coz he was doin 180 tryin to show off and ran outa road tryin to slow down.

so its quite easy to have stacks especially in ur first yr of riding. just coz none of ur mates have stacked doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. only thing u can do is wear the rite gear and try to ride sensibly and attentively if ya dont want ur bike and ur body bein smashed to bits

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
its all depends on how much experience you have on bikes. there is always a chance of making a simple little mistake that will see you hit the tarmac.

alot of my mates are into a road bike phase and the majority of them didnt grow up around bikes so its all brand new to them. they have dropped it a couple times from just doin stupid things like not paying attention and running up the arse of their mate or lane changing without looking properly.

and even still, the most experienced riders can have stacks depending on how they ride. my family is a prime example, we all race and can ride quite well but if ur bein a d***head then ur gonna drop it. my little brother has stacked his company scooter countless times coz he upgraded the engine and thinks its a racebike so he hits roundabouts doin 80clicks. and just the other day my old man binned his 2008 harley down the end of our rd coz he was doin 180 tryin to show off and ran outa road tryin to slow down.

so its quite easy to have stacks especially in ur first yr of riding. just coz none of ur mates have stacked doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. only thing u can do is wear the rite gear and try to ride sensibly and attentively if ya dont want ur bike and ur body bein smashed to bits

100% true! It is so so so easy to drop a bike. It just takes a second of inattention or being a dick/showing off and bam, your on the ground.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS

the two key points i picked up from that, "scooter" and "harley", there not real bikes, there "wow i dont use much fuel and look like a girl" and "wow bikies ride these i must be tuff and look how fast i go in a straight line"

both are not bikes that are meant to be ridden hard, we some how pissed a guy off on a harley in the national park on my rgv and my mate was on his r6, through the twisties the harley could not keep up with an 250.

Last edited:

ecotec_kid

Hitchhiker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Ok. Some good help and some funny stories in there!! :D
The CBR250RR felt like a bigger bike compared to the new ninja and most of the sporty looking 250s like the kawasaki ninja 250.

That is pretty much what im looking for, one of those japanese crotch rockets!

Ive had a look at the Hyosung GTR250 and that is a fairly nice looking bike, bigger stance, real size wheels, nice.. but.. chinese..

Again in qld there is only a engine size limit, no power to weight ratio.

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
the two key points i picked up from that, "scooter" and "harley", there not real bikes, there "wow i dont use much fuel and look like a girl" and "wow bikies ride these i must be tuff and look how fast i go in a straight line"

both are not bikes that are meant to be ridden hard, we some how pissed a guy off on a harley in the national park on my rgv and my mate was on his r6, through the twisties the harley could not keep up with an 250.

you ride an RGV250 and you wanna talk bout "real bikes". lol at you

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
lol at Harley, aka Harley Ferguson too, real tuffy bikies hate it when you blow them off the lights with a dirt bike too lol, there allright if your into that sort of thing