Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying a bike

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
yeah there good in theory, but once you ride one and compare it to any other type of bike, there not so great

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yeah there good in theory, but once you ride one and compare it to any other type of bike, there not so great

this is how it was said to me by a mate at work "ive always wanted to ride one, i got the oportunity and dead set, ive never ridden a bike that did nothing" how? "well it didnt steer, it didnt brake, and it didnt handle, i was so dissapointed" lol

the guy that said that, i saw his new bike at work today, triumph tiger, OMG F****** HOT

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
Again in qld there is only a engine size limit, no power to weight ratio.

You sure on that? Pretty sure its a power to weight ratio and engine capacity limit. You can get 650s that fall into LAMS, but not 600s.

And don't write Hyosung off, I ride one every day - a GT650S - and have not a had too many issues. It's got nothing on my Gsx-R, but its still a great bike in it's own right, considering the price compared to other bikes on the market.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Go to the LAMS for your state

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate, just my input.
1. CBR250R/CBR250RR have all been thrashed to the s*** house, they are the second quickest learner approved bike, and they need to be rebuilt get their power back and need to be rebuilt often to keep their power.
2. RS250 isn't learner legal, however the rs125 is learner legal and is a real screamer and the fastest learner legal bike.
I feel kind of silly telling you this because you've ridden all your life, but i've been around these bikes so i sorta know them. Hope this helps.
Cheers mate.

ecotec_kid

Hitchhiker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
sweefu-
with all second hand bikes of 15 years or more, your almost always guaranteed to need either a rebuild or a little work to get the thing back to its former glory.
but i don't think it will need a rebuild often like you said, if at all in the two years i need to hold the restricted licence.

Hillerus-
i definately wont write off the hyosung, but for a first bike im looking at something i wont cry about for days in the off chance i put it down and f*ck up all the pretty fairings.

and whoever said just put some 250 stickers on a bigger bike......... no..... just no..
would you put v6 badges on your blown/stroked 6lt so you could drive it on P plates?

ok the cbrr has the full race fairings aswell but as a bit of a track rat back in the day at barbagello in perth, i had always loved the look of it above all other bikes. and thats why i want that one.

as for LAMS, there was talk of it being introduced in QLD after June 2009, so this year, but after a phone call to the local transport department and not one of the people i was transferred to even knew what LAMS was!

from QLD Transport website -
# RE (motorbike) - a moped
- a motorbike with an engine capacity of 250 millilitres (250 cc) or less, with or without a trailer

the only other restrictions are -
When riding while you hold a motorbike licence you must:

* have a blood or breath alcohol limit not exceeding 0.05 per cent. However, if you are a provisional licence holder under 25 years you must have a zero (0.00 per cent) blood or breath alcohol limit. Offences carry penalties of monetary fines and disqualification periods
* not drive under the influence of drugs
* obey any conditions stated on your licence
* only ride the class of vehicle stated on your licence.

this is the only restrictions/rules relating to motorcycle licencing in QLD, nothing about LAMS, nothing about power to weight restrictions, nothing to do with anything seen in other states laws.

end rant -

Last edited:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
- a motorbike with an engine capacity of 250 millilitres (250 cc) or less, with or without a trailer .
this is the only restrictions/rules relating to motorcycle licencing in QLD, nothing about LAMS, nothing about power to weight restrictions, nothing to do with anything seen in other states laws.

-

thats the LAMS rule, been "learner approved motorcylce".. for queensland its under 250cc, other states are different, but for you, in queesnland, thats what you have to follow

so in that case, get a NSR 250, RGV 250, RS 250, for you there learner legal

ecotec_kid

Hitchhiker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
*shoots self in foot*
thanks mate

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'd strongly suggest not spending a fortune on a new 250. Buy a second hand one. After 12 months you'll want a bigger bike (especially if you are 6'2) and you'll lose heaps of money selling the 250.

The 250's sportsbikes go well for their size, but they are a small engine working hard to make that power - hence have a narrow power range. They rev their tits off - approx 7000rpm @ 100kph on the FZRR250, CBR is about the same. It's novelty factor to start with but it wears thin after a while. Also they have a very limited range (usually less than 200km to a tank) because they have a smaller fuel tank, and tend to use as much fuel as their bigger brothers.

Not sure if it's still the case here in Qld, but at one stage if you held an open car license, you could go through Q-ride and get your open 'R' class bike license without having to go through the 250 probationary period.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
I'd strongly suggest not spending a fortune on a new 250. Buy a second hand one. After 12 months you'll want a bigger bike (especially if you are 6'2) and you'll lose heaps of money selling the 250.

The 250's sportsbikes go well for their size, but they are a small engine working hard to make that power - hence have a narrow power range. They rev their tits off - approx 7000rpm @ 100kph on the FZRR250, CBR is about the same. It's novelty factor to start with but it wears thin after a while. Also they have a very limited range (usually less than 200km to a tank) because they have a smaller fuel tank, and tend to use as much fuel as their bigger brothers.

Not sure if it's still the case here in Qld, but at one stage if you held an open car license, you could go through Q-ride and get your open 'R' class bike license without having to go through the 250 probationary period.

They outed that last year.

In other news, a semi thread hi-jack..:

I'm actually looking at getting a new bike. I've only got like 18 months licensed road experience behind me on smaller bikes. Am looking at something around the 600cc mark. Ie cbr-600rr vs zx-6r vs gsx-r600

I weigh in at 85kg and 182cm.

What recommendations does anyone have?

Last edited: