Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying a ute - advice needed!

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
I've found a couple of VG's on the trading post website - but they're all V8's, and all for around 8k.

Found a VN S V6 though: "3 seater utility, excellent condition. 16 inch mag wheels. New spray job, 4 new discs and brakes. " Rego till July 2007, with RWC, 160,000km for $5,200.

Are these older engines more fuel guzzling than the newer models?

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
stay the hell away from xg utes lol speacially dual fuel we have one lol u have bno idea how bad the turning circle is on it they are slluggish even with a fresh rebuild.They also have common problems with gas systems so iv been told as ours has blown converter a few times and **** load off air boxs and so has 2 others we know off lol they are awfull and rusty.Also frd utes of that era ford went cheap on door hinges and the doors are to heavy for them so they buckle crack and in extreme fall off lol like ours did on a roundabout

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
LOL thanks for that... had no idea! Don't care about performance (otherwise I'd just buy another Skyline - that thing flew, but I sold it to buy a "family car" - otherwise known as my VXII Commy).

I always thought Fords were better on gas than Holdens? Or is that just the AU series (i.e. all those taxis).

Interesting about the door hinges... Will have to check that out!

At the moment we're looking at an XH ford ute ('98 model), seems to be in good nick but it's on petrol and costs $8,000. Has a mssive 5 post bullbar, UHF aerial etc. Good for B&S'ing in!

I think I prefer the $7,500 VS I posted earlier.... even though it's a standard VS (with a weird paint job).

I'll keep looking until I can find something decent for 5k. There's still a few weeks left till the Deni Ute Muster!

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
gogoboygareth said:
I've thought about a WB actually... but aren't they all too old? i.e. engines on the way out, rust in the chassis etc?

for the money you have you'd find one in immaculate condition. you can get rust sections through rare spares and 5 litre parts are easy as to get new or used. you could get one with VN heads ands fuel injection with the money you have.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi again guys,

Well we drove to Ballarat yesterday to check out a '98 Ford XH ute which was advertised to be in "excellent" condition, including 5 post bullbar, driving lights etc.

The rear tyres were nearly bald, the rear spotties didn't work and one of the front spotties had completely rusted out. When I looked under the hood I found the head gasket leaked and there was a small pool of oil at the front of the head.

And he wanted $8000...

We went to a few car dealers - no cheap Commodores - but we found a bunch of XF/XG Fords, but they all had too much rust around the body (especially around the door frame area).

While driving around Bendigo today, we spotted a white '97 VS ute (standard ecotech engine) on a street corner, in excellent condition, no rust (only a some on the floor of the tub, as normal for most country utes) - but the main body panels were in excellent condition, and the interior was immaculate.

It's got 152,000km on the clock, 15" alloys, new tonneau cover, 3 seater, column shift auto and the little baby capsule hook thing (bonus as we have a 6 month old).

We called the guy up - he wants exactly $10,000 for it - and he let us test drive it and it drove and felt pretty much exactly like my VXII sedan.

My girlfriend absolutely loves it... she drove it and even gave it the boot and she said it felt like my own car, so I'm guessing the engine isn't stuffed. :)

I think it's a bit much for a VS - at least a V6 one! But since we need it within 3 weeks so we can take it to the Deni Ute Muster, we may end up getting it (provided we don't find a cheaper one in as good condition first, or if it doesn't pass an RACV inspection!).

What do you guys think?

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
sounds aiight mate, but i seen cheaper ones in good conditions its all in what ur a looking for? eg: Kms, Colour, Extras?

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
gogoboygareth said:
I've thought about a WB actually... but aren't they all too old? i.e. engines on the way out, rust in the chassis etc?

No way mate. They're the best. With the money your prepared to spend, you could get an excellent example.

Although, if you're in the country, they would tend to be a bit worn out, especially if they're located in remote areas.........

But, in general, they're excelent vheicles. Personally, I reckon the one-tonner would be better, there's less body/panels to them so rust is less of a problem. And the tray continues to look good as it don't get rusted/scratched etc. I'm assuming you're not after the V8 engined ones though?