Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying a ute - advice needed!

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi everyone,

I'm actually after a ute, and looking to spend between 5k and 8k. The trouble is, it's pretty much impossible to find a Commodore ute in good condition at the lower end of that price scale.

Most VS utes are 9k+.

Which is annoying, as you can pick up a VT/VX sedan on Ebay for 10k-13k!

I've actually been looking at the ford XG/XH utes (for 6k you can get an XG already on LPG), but I've always been a Commodore man so ideally I want a VS ute but there seems to be no way in hell I can get one in my price range.

VR utes seem to be pretty rare, and I've always heard bad things about VR's (a cousing of my ex had a VR sedan, and complained about it constantly - poor steering etc etc).

What are peoples opinions of them? I'm a bit reluctant to further back than a VR though... probably getting a bit too long in the tooth? I want something reliable, for country driving.

Can I seriously buy a ute - with rego and RWC (I'm in Victoria) - within my price range?

I won't spend more as I already own a VXII sedan (my daily driver and incredibly reliable), and my girlfriend has a Daewoo Matiz (costs bugger all to run).

This will be for weekend camping trips, B&S balls and the Deni ute muster. :)

- Gareth

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
buy a kingswood ute ie HX,HZ,WB. you can get really nice ones for that price range.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
I've thought about a WB actually... but aren't they all too old? i.e. engines on the way out, rust in the chassis etc?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
vn,vg,vp utes are goin for around about your price and arent too old really... good condition 5 speed V6 VG's are goin for like 5 grand and are reliable as anything

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
hq 1tonner ftw! oh and has to be 5.0l ;)

i like the VG utes, bloody rare tho.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
tdoyle88 said:
nah not tonight :p, ive never seen one!
look at boona's avater;)

there are none where i live there are only 4 commodore utes i canthink of and they are a vs, vu, vz and a vp