Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinning out the range

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've read articles in the last week in the analogue paper saying that Colorado is the new Commodore than another saying that Holden were happy with their 5 - 600 sales pm.

We won't ever really know until they disappear from dealers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I suspect one day we will see the end of GMH. Not sure who makes the Coll but over in Tas at least, the numbers on the road are few. Probably see 5 - 7 Ranger to every 1 Coll. Mitsubishi would be one of the biggest sellers over here followed by Hyaundai.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
In NZ according to the NZAA the Colorado is the 4th best selling ute after the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux and Mitsubishi Triton, all four were in the top 10 in terms of new registrations in 2018. I didn't have the exact figure for Colorado's but it has to be between 3695 and 4720 which was the number of CX5's and Triton's registered during the year. But registrations don't necessarily mean actual sales, I saw a lot of registered utes sitting idle on sales yards while I was test driving cars.

Does Hyundai make a ute?

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
In NZ according to the NZAA the Colorado is the 4th best selling ute after the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux and Mitsubishi Triton, all four were in the top 10 in terms of new registrations in 2018. I didn't have the exact figure for Colorado's but it has to be between 3695 and 4720 which was the number of CX5's and Triton's registered during the year. But registrations don't necessarily mean actual sales, I saw a lot of registered utes sitting idle on sales yards while I was test driving cars.

Does Hyundai make a ute?
Same with zb’s. Sitting regoed and unsold everywhere. The official sales figures are a crock

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No Hyaundai utes AFAIK. What is selling over here are "SUV"s and Rangers. With the Outlander being seen everywhere, same with Ranger. Then Hyaundai in its various forms. Also the cheaper again Chinese utes are really starting to emerge, seeing a fair few of them everyday.
I'm only guessing but GMH sales are really poor here at the present and I believe it is primarily because of what they are offering, which is Deawoo and other rebadged stuff that just plainly has had a bad name for ever and if the quality improves, it takes Tasmanian's a long time to trust the brand again. Hence why I wonder if GMH will be too little too late. I actually wonder if we will lose GM in Launceston and the dealership will focus on better sellers, that being Jap and Korean imports.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
No Hyaundai utes AFAIK. What is selling over here are "SUV"s and Rangers. With the Outlander being seen everywhere, same with Ranger. Then Hyaundai in its various forms. Also the cheaper again Chinese utes are really starting to emerge, seeing a fair few of them everyday.
I'm only guessing but GMH sales are really poor here at the present and I believe it is primarily because of what they are offering, which is Deawoo and other rebadged stuff that just plainly has had a bad name for ever and if the quality improves, it takes Tasmanian's a long time to trust the brand again. Hence why I wonder if GMH will be too little too late. I actually wonder if we will lose GM in Launceston and the dealership will focus on better sellers, that being Jap and Korean imports.

Hyundai did show off a Santa Cruz ute a couple of years ago and I thought it was due for release in the USA in the next year or so. I am not sure about it coming to Australia though.

But it is one thing missing from Hyundai's line up at the moment. Watch Hyundai push for number 2 spot if / when they release a ute / dual cab competitor.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon