Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had three failed pumps in 3 years. Anyone know what is going on. Each pump has leaked from the weep hole. I have had two failed brand new GMB's and now a failed Gates. Also the original GMB that was fairly new when I bought the ute, failed within six months of ownership.

To get my Gates replaced under warranty I have to send it to Qld. This will mean three weeks with no replacement pump unless I buy another one. I am actually considering fitting a SH one from the donor because four or more weeks without transport is going to suck. This Sunday will be one week that it has already been off the road. I only found the pump leaking when I removed the rear fan to make working on the engine easier and saw the drip right under the hole running down on to the CAS cover.

The old bus has had the coolant dumped no less than seven times. The coolant is near new and I am now catching and reusing because it's never ending and a waste of 40-50 bucks worth of coolant if I chuck it each time.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have had three failed pumps in 3 years
Same here. 3 or 4 pumps.
This is why l went electric.

The electric pump hasn't stuffed up yet.
But the controller did after 1 year. Davies Craig replaced it under a 2 year warranty.

I didn't buy from D,C. I bought from one of their agents.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Same here. 3 or 4 pumps.
This is why l went electric.

The electric pump hasn't stuffed up yet.
But the controller did after 1 year. Davies Craig replaced it under a 2 year warranty.

I didn't buy from D,C. I bought from one of their agents.

That's unreal, I thought it must have been something I was doing. I previously have never had to replace a pump after fitting a new one. Last pump I fitted that didn't fail, did over 170k and was still fine. I'm going through pumps in less than 10k.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Theres 2 different Gmb versions I hear and everyone's had trouble with one of them it's like they changed the seal material .my stock pump is over 500k km in the 2nd owner and knew the previous its OG pump lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Theres 2 different Gmb versions I hear and everyone's had trouble with one of them it's like they changed the seal material .my stock pump is over 500k km in the 2nd owner and knew the previous its OG pump lol

The donor has a Made in Japan GMB and I am seriously considering using it instead of buying another. That is providing my engine can be repaired.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Man you just can't catch a break, I stay clear of those GMB water pumps for the reason delcowizzid points out, I've been using a $25 eBay water pump on my l67 for 3 year's without any problems.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'd be putting the Japanese pump on and at least trying it for sure. Can't be any worse. My Chinese GMB is still going but slowly getting noisier and more wobbly ;)
I think it's pretty clear the new pumps are made down to a price.
Shouldn't be anything wrong with reusing coolant if you use a clean container.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

I've had similar issues where I've chosen to reuse coolant opposed to replacing with new. I use Genuine Holden Coolant which I get at cost price but I'm still not prepared to waste it.

I simply use a large rectangular tub to catch it from the bottom hose outlet and then run it through a clean cloth stretched across my super large funnel and back into a 5 litre container so I can pour it back into the engine when it's time to refill.

BTW. GMB's are merely living off their past reputation and are nothing short of Chinese made garbage now. I also still have an original fitted Japanese made unit which shows no signs of wear whatsoever nor leakage and it's well over 20 years old now.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Chuck on the used pump and send the other back to get your money back and they can see the mode of failure. Weeping from the hole means the seal has failed. Water pumps use a ceramic seal which don't like particle contamination so definitely filter the used coolant when re-filling. You can also get something like this
http://www.derek.com.au/tefbafilter.html

Our VX has done 230,000km and is still on it's original pump, I do have a spare on the shelf so no doubt it will last until a mate or somebody else borrows my new/spare...

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
http://www.derek.com.au/tefbafilter.html
Wow. That's an interesting looking product. Thanks Immortality. Never heard of anything like it before. I've been worried about the running temperature of my rattley old donk on hotter days over the last summer or 2 (without doing anything about it).
Anyone got any experience with this product?

Status
Not open for further replies.